trend/fashion

< Previous | Next >

taraa

Persian
Trend
A trend is a general tendency in the way a situation is changing or developing.
Lucy likes to think she started this fashion trend
(4000 Essential English Words, forth volume)

Can you please explain the difference between 'fashion' and 'trend'? I can't understand 'trend'.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    "Fashion" here relates to clothing or some other aspect of style. "Trend", as you say, is related to change. A "fashion trend" is a fashion (style) that has become/is becoming/once was popular.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The word "fashion" modifies the word "trend". So "fashion trend" means "trend (about fashion)".

Here "fashion" refers to the general field: what people like to wear, or like other people to wear.

A "trend" is something that many people do. In other words, doing this has become popular.

If nobody wears leather belts, and suddenly this year most people start wearing leather belts, then "wearing leather belts" is a new fashion trend.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Note that a "trend" can involve many situations other than fashion. You can have trends involving diseases (for example, increasing or decreasing rates of infection), or goods and products (for example, fewer people using an old-fashioned product and more people using its modern replacement), in politics, and so on.

Thank you all so much. :)

Why are confusing?
    Hi Taara my idea was that as the word trendy is closely associated to fashion (but not only, I admit), maybe this is why also the world trend may recall the idea of fashion, while it is in fact a technical term with a very specific meaning (see @GreenWhiteBlue #4).
    It is just my idea though, I may very well be wrong :)

Last edited:

taraa

Persian
    Hi Taara my idea was that as the word trendy is closely associated to fashion (but not only, I admit), maybe this is why also the world trend may recall the idea of fashion, while it is in fact a technical term with a very specific meaning (see @GreenWhiteBlue #4).
    It is just my idea though, I may very well be wrong :)
    Hi chipulukusu, many thanks. :)

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I agree with GreenWhiteBlue #4. In fact a trend in economics is exactly the opposite of what people in the fashion world think of as a trend.

Economics: A long-term growth path of an economic variable, around which there may be short-term variations.
    Fashion: A short-term variation in the popularity of a colour, shape, garment, material etc. which typically lasts three months.

I agree with GreenWhiteBlue #4. In fact a trend in economics is exactly the opposite of what people in the fashion world think of as a trend.

Economics: A long-term growth path of an economic variable, around which there may be short-term variations.
    Fashion: A short-term variation in the popularity of a colour, shape, garment, material etc. which typically lasts three months.
    Thanks @Keith Bradford I never thought at this and it is true indeed.
    But Taara asked

Can you please explain the difference between 'fashion' and 'trend'?.
    So I took it as she thought that trend could be somehow a synonym for fashion.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    ... I took it as she thought that trend could be somehow a synonym for fashion.
    Oh, well yes, it can. In the world of garment manufacture and journalism, "a fashion" can be as ephemeral as a trend, a fad, a craze, "the latest thing"...

As Lester Bangs said: Style is originality; fashion is fascism. The two are eternally and unalterably opposed.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Off topic really. I'd send a PM but you've restricted your profile. Briefly he meant:

"Fashion is what you are supposed to wear/eat/listen to, as dictated by other people called fashion gurus. Style is discovering your own personal taste and following it regardless of other people's opinions or popular trends."

taraa

Persian
    Off topic really. I'd send a PM but you've restricted your profile. Briefly he meant:

"Fashion is what you are supposed to wear/eat/listen to, as dictated by other people called fashion gurus. Style is discovering your own personal taste and following it regardless of other people's opinions or popular trends."
    Interesting, I understand. Thank you so much. :thank you: :thank you:

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >