trenta e lode

lafantasticarana

English
I have to translate this thing, its about someone who failed a first exam, is about to sit another one, is worried, their friend is trying to give moral support etc.! The phrase I'm struggling with at the moment (although there are many :p) is :

'Se prendessi trenta o trenta e lode, potrei andare dal professor De Mauro e chiedergli la tesi senza timore.'

So far, I've made it out to mean 'If I get 30 or full marks (?), I could go to prof. De Mauro and ask him for the dissertaion without fear.'

If anyone could please help correct me it would be appreciated!! Thanks!

• franz rod

Italiano
    30 is the highest mark you can get at university exames. 18/30 is the pass mark.
    "lode" is used like distinction

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    The previous threads about lode should be of assistance. (Scroll down past the definitions for links to relevant threads.)

Elisabetta

lafantasticarana

English
    Thanks for the help! However, I still can't seem to work it out! I mean, I think I understand each word etc. , just not how they fit into the sentence!

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    e chiedergli la tesi senza timore.
    I think this may mean "ask him for a dissertation topic" (perhaps with the understanding that he'll agree to sponsor the research), but you'll have to await clarification from native-speakers. Your thread title probably focussed them on the lode part. ;)

Elisabetta

platoelio

Italian
    Hi lafantasticarana!

First of all "30 e lode", usually literally translated into English as "30 cum laude", means full mark with distinction and it's the highest grade you can get at an exam in Italy.
    As for the rest of the sentence, TrentinaNE is right: "chiedere la tesi" means asking for a topic for the final dissertation (thesis). This is usually the important last step before actually preparing your thesis and graduate!!
    [However, in Italian universities being given a topic for a thesis doesn't entail being given funds (if you - TrentinaNE - meant that with "sponsor").]

I hope I have been of any help!
    If you still think you don't really understand the complete meaning of the whole sentence, feel free to ask again! You might need some more background about how things work in Italian universities.

Bye,

Paolo

lafantasticarana

English
    Grazie mille :)

Think I understand now! Where it says 'trenta o trenta e lode' would it be something like...full marks or full marks with distinction?

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    [However, in Italian universities being given a topic for a thesis doesn't entail being given funds (if you - TrentinaNE - meant that with "sponsor").]
    Ciao, Paolo. :) I meant it in the sense of being the dissertation advisor.

Grazie della spiegazione.
    Elisabetta

d4n183

Italiano
    Visto che siamo in argomento: all'Università si usano gli stessi voti delle superiori in lettere? Se sì come sono equiparabili a quelli italiani?

platoelio

Italian
    Ciao d4n183,

credo che dipenda dal paese in questione (UK, USA, Australia, etc.) e forse anche dall'università. Nell'università britannica dove mi trovo al momento, i voti vanno da 1 a 100 (come all'esame di stato in Italia), ma la sufficienza è 50 (non 60) ed, a partire da 71 (cioè voto > 70), viene assegnata la "distinction", una specie di lode... Comunque i sistemi universitari sono piuttosto diversi, quindi ogni comparazione è difficile!

Ciao!

< Previous | Next >