trial separation

andy0210

Russian
Hi there!

I was wondering if "trial separation" is an Ok phrase to use in coloquial speech to refer to married partners moving away from each other without getting divorced, or is it solely restricted to law contexts?

If it is common in everyday speech, is it OK to say "They decided to go for a trial separation" or "They decided to have a go at a trial separation. What are the most common collocations? And can two people decide to give it a try? or is it a court that rules that they should have a trial separation.

If it is not common in everyday speech, what would you use instead? I have been thinking of "moving away from each other for some time", but am not sure if it fits the bill.

Thank you!!!

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    I think that it could be used in the manner you describe. "Try a trial separation," despite the alliteration or apparent redundancy, would be an idiomatic phrasing.

A euphemism would be "spending some time apart," with the suggestion that the separation is intended to be merely transitory.

hunnybun

English
    The phrase "trial separation" is commonly used in the UK and implies that the separation may not be permanent, though it usually turns out to be exactly that.

< Previous | Next >