triangle - try and go (mixed pronunciation)

tpfumefx

Français - France
Hello everyone !

I don't know if there is some sort of a phenomenon between "triangle" and "try and go"

The sounds are approximately the same that I can't differenciate between the two.

Is there a phenomenon out there that can help differenciate these sort of situations ?

If there is, does it happen to everyone or it's just a matter of non-native speakers ?

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
  • entangledbank

English - South-East England
    What sort of English speakers are you listening to? In England many people have only a vowel after the /g/ in 'triangle', and it might sound to you like the vowel in 'go'. But for most of the English-speaking world there is an /l/ there. It is not the same as French /l/, which we call 'clear' /l/. The English 'dark' /l/ at the end of a syllable might sound more like a vowel, but it is still there.

Also, 'triangle' has the full vowel of 'hat', 'sang' in the middle of it. The word 'and' also has that sound when it's said as an isolated word, but in normal speech it's reduced to a weaker vowel, as if 'try 'n go'.

sound shift

English - England
    There's also a difference between the vowels. I pronounce the "a" in triangle as /æ/, but I reduce the "a" in "try and go" to a schwa (/ə/).
    In addition there's the question of stress. In "triangle", "tri" is stressed much more heavily than the other syllables. In "try and go", "try" gets approximately the same amount of stress as "go".

tpfumefx

Français - France
    I'm listening to "Eiffel 65" it's an Italian musical group.

The song is "Your Clown" : I don't wanna be your clown again. / and I don'twanna live this triangle.

First time I heard the song, I heard "triangle" as "try and go"

But after I knew the lyrics I found out it was "triangle"

How can I overcome this sort of mixed pronunciation ?

Myridon

English - US
    Singing is an altered form of speech. Sounds are stretched and forced into unusual rhythms - stress can be lost, vowels altered, consonants dropped, ...
    Listening to the song (ignoring the first "computer voice" part), the final symbol is gull not go. Even if you can't hear the L, you should be able to distinguish guh vs goh.

tpfumefx

Français - France
    Thanks a lot Myridon.

guh and goh are very close ... I'm trying to distinguish between them !

< Previous | Next >