Trick or treat!

< Previous | Next >

orlando09

English (England)
I was wondering, as this thread is quite old, if anyone can say what the kids are saying this year for "trick or treat!" - either to describe the activity or, especially, what they actually say when someone comes to the door. Has anyone had any visits, or has anyone's kids been out doing it?

• ocid

France French
    I was wondering, as this thread is quite old, if anyone can say what the kids are saying this year for "trick or treat!" - either to describe the activity or, especially, what they actually say when someone comes to the door. Has anyone had any visits, or has anyone's kids been out doing it?
    I heard last night " des bonbons ou un sort"

Micia93

France French
    I've never heard "des bonbons ou un sort" Ocid, but I believe you ;)

I think french kids are particulary shy, Halloween is not entirely anchored in France as it is in the USA (maybe because it's roughly the same date as our Toussaint ....)

The kids that came round this year stuck out their hands and said "on veut des bonbons"... admittedly they were quite nicely, or should I say nastily, disguised, but I think the "trick or treat" bit has been lost...
    EDIT: "trick or treat" has not been lost so much as it never arrived, Halloween is indeed not a French tradition... although the kids seem quite happy to adopt it ;)

GentleMath

Français
    Like ocid, I've already heard des bonbons ou un sort.

However, to complete what micia said, my personal feeling is that Halloween is getting less and less anchored in French traditions.
    Ten years ago, when I was a kid, many people were displaying some pumpkins and would decorate their houses.
    That's when Halloween came in France and it was quite popular. I remember some years when my doorbell rang 20 times.

But during the last 5-7 years, I think that the trend has been declining and keeps doing so. This year, I've seen 4 groups of children in total: two of them were not dressed up at all, and another one came on the wrong day (30th October)...

Anyway, that's only my personal feeling about Halloween in French culture.

But still, to come back on topic, I'd personally say des bonbons ou un sort, that's what I've heard.

B. Felisimo

Canada, English
    Coming from English Canada to Québec City, it was strange not to hear the kids say "Trick or treat" when they came to the door. What I hear, if anything, is "Halloween!" in a sing-song voice just before they open their bags to receive some candy / chocolate / chips. In the 6 Halloweens that we have given out candy here, I have never heard "Des bonbons ou un sort", though perhaps I have heard "Des bonbons". I will have to keep an ear out tonight.

pointvirgule

langue française
    Coming from English Canada to Québec City, it was strange not to hear the kids say "Trick or treat" when they came to the door.
    Well, 95% of the population in Quebec City is French speaking, so what did you expect? ;) "Toto, I think we're not in Kanada anymore."

Regarding #4 – Although Des bonbons ou un [mauvais] sort sort of translates the phrase Trick of Treat (although ou un mauvais tour would be closer), I personally have never heard any kid actually say that, or uttered it myself, in my whole life as a Quebecker.

Last edited:

danny_1952

Français
    Your answer is good. I'm a French Quebecker. The boys and girls here only sing-song "Halloween!" when we open the door. They know that you know that you're supposed to give them "des bonbons" (treats).

Datadox

French
    The kids I know use the expression "Des bonbons ou un sort", which seems to be the official version here in France.

(although I would find "Des bonbons ou des bobos" much better since it has an alliteration as in the original)

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    I just came upon this thread after replying to another thread. Three years down the road, I concur with pointvirgule.
    I was just as surprised as him to read post #4.

When they actually say something instead of just opening their bags, Quebec kids simply say : des bonbons s.v.p. !

And some may remember this old sketch from « Les Têtes à claques » in which the kids said : on veut des bonbons !

< Previous | Next >