Trick <to><for> getting....

sagar grammar

Namaste,
Dear members.

I have a doubt about the correct choice in this sentence, as I have read both prepositions being used after 'Trick' and before an -ing form of verb.

1- There is no trick ____ success.
A)- to getting
B)- for gettIng

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    In AE, we say "achieving success" (which means "reaching success"). We don't say "getting success". In English, success is not a thing you can "get". If you are successful, you do not "have" success. Success is a state you can reach. You have become successful. So I will change "get" to "achieve" in your example:

2- There is no trick ______ success.
    A) to achieving
    B) for achieving

B is acceptable, but A is more common. A fits the standard idiom "a trick to doing a thing". That means a special way of doing that thing, which you can learn, which greatly improves your ability to do that thing. For example:

The trick to juggling 3 balls is to watch the ball you just threw.
    The trick to ballroom dancing is keeping your shoulders back.
    The trick to winning at poker is to never blink.
    The trick to tennis is hitting to the corners, not hitting to the other player.

Saying "There is no trick for achieving success." is correct grammar, so it is fine to say or write. It just doesn't use the common idiom.

sagar grammar

In AE, we say "achieving success" (which means "reaching success"). We don't say "getting success". In English, success is not a thing you can "get". If you are successful, you do not "have" success. Success is a state you can reach. You have become successful. So I will change "get" to "achieve" in your example:

2- There is no trick ______ success.
    A) to achieving
    B) for achieving

B is acceptable, but A is more common. A fits the standard idiom "a trick to doing a thing". That means a special way of doing that thing, which you can learn, which greatly improves your ability to do that thing. For example:

The trick to juggling 3 balls is to watch the ball you just threw.
    The trick to ballroom dancing is keeping your shoulders back.
    The trick to winning at poker is to never blink.
    The trick to tennis is hitting to the corners, not hitting to the other player.

Saying "There is no trick for achieving success." is correct grammar, so it is fine to say or write. It just doesn't use the common idiom.
    Thanks it helped. :)

< Previous | Next >