Trillion: the number

mauri67

italian
Hi folks
I'm a little bit confused about the numerical meaning of TRILLION. It seems to have a different meaning according to where the geographical location: in Uk is 10E18; in US is 10^12 (see here)
How is it possible? :confused: Mathematic is mathematic.
I found this when reading an article in the MIT website about a camera they have developed with FPS of "one trillion frames per second". So I'd like to know how should I read this sentence in numbers.

thanks

• Copyright

American English
    MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) is in the US – that should tell you. :) (Twelve zeros in case it doesn't.)

Egmont

English - U.S.
    ...How is it possible? :confused: Mathematic is mathematic...
    This is possible because your question is not about mathematics. (The word "mathematics" always ends with an "s," like "physics.") It is about language, about the meaning of a word. The mathematical concept, 10^12 or whatever, is the same everywhere. The word that people use in colloquial speech to refer to that concept is not.

As previously posted, the meaning of this specific word is becoming standardized worldwide, but the concept that words can have different meanings in different varieties of English remains. Just ask any American woman who ever mentioned her "fanny" while visiting the UK! :D

mauri67

italian
    thanks
    I was somehow prepared to face country specificities for many words (<< Examples removed by moderator to remove the temptation to respond :) >>), not really for "quantitative differences".

Well this means that it was sooooo different to be a trillionaire in UK or in US :D

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >