Trimestre

stellina06

Southern Italy; Italian
Hi, everybody!
Could anybody explain me the difference between "quarter" and "term" used to mean "trimestre" (a three months period) in Italian?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Have a very good afternoon!
Laila

• anglomania1

UK English
    Hi, everybody!
    Could anybody explain me the difference between "quarter" and "term" used to mean "trimestre" (a three months period) in Italian?
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    Have a very good afternoon!
    Laila
    Hello,
    some context would be useful. For example, if you are talking about schools, I would use "term" in BE, but I've got a feeling our American colleagues use "quarter" (I wouldn't swear to it, though!).
    I think I'd use "quarter" for talking about economics.
    Any ideas, anyone?
    Anglo

stellina06

Southern Italy; Italian
    Hello,
    some context would be useful. For example, if you are talking about schools, I would use "term" in BE, but I've got a feeling our American colleagues use "quarter" (I wouldn't swear to it, though!).
    I think I'd use "quarter" for talking about economics.
    Any ideas, anyone?
    Anglo

Hi Anglo!
    Thank you for replying!
    I'm using the word "trimestre" for economics. I'm translating an accounting software into English, so I suppose it deals with economics words.
    I've always heard "term" in british English, but it was actually referred to school, so you're surely right.
    Would you use "quarter" in this case, then?
    Thanks again.
    Laila:D

anglomania1

UK English
    Hi Anglo!
    Thank you for replying!
    I'm using the word "trimestre" for economics. I'm translating an accounting software into English, so I suppose it deals with economics words.
    I've always heard "term" in british English, but it was actually referred to school, so you're surely right.
    Would you use "quarter" in this case, then?
    Thanks again.
    Laila:D

Hi Laila,
    sorry for the late reply, I went home at 3 o'clock!!
    I just Googled "inflation in the first quarter of 2009" and found these exact words in a Bank of England website, so I think we can safely say it's correct to use "quarter".
    Hope it helps:),
    Anglo

stellina06

Southern Italy; Italian
    Hi Laila,
    sorry for the late reply, I went home at 3 o'clock!!
    I just Googled "inflation in the first quarter of 2009" and found these exact words in a Bank of England website, so I think we can safely say it's correct to use "quarter".
    Hope it helps:),
    Anglo

Thanks a lot!
    Have a good day and...a good rest, I hope!
    :DLaila