trip VS jaunt

riglos

Argentina - Spanish
Hi all!

I'd like to know what is the difference between these two words, for example, if one is more frequently used than the other, etc.

Another question: Is "jaunt" more informal than "trip"?

Thanks a lot!!

Mara.-

• OALD:

jaunt (old-fashioned or humorous) a short journey that you make for pleasure

"trip" is definitely a much more widely used term. A "trip" is journey that can be long or short; it is not an old-fashioned term and not intrinsically humorous.

"trip" can be used formally and informally and a trip can be for a wide range of purposes. eg

We'll make a shopping trip to London next week.
    This travel insurance policy covers you for up to five trips abroad.

They went on a day-trip to the seaside. [?? not sure about the hyphen ??]
    Seventeen day-trippers were killed when their coach overturned on the icy road.

Brioche

Australia English
    For me, a jaunt is a relatively short journey, taken at a leisurely pace, for pleasure.

Let's take a jaunt down to Wigan, and have lunch on the pier.

She make the trip to the hospital twice a day to visit her sick child.
    You could not say jaunt here.

mary de la loma

Banned
    USA
    English
    Hi Mara. Yes, the word 'jaunt' is a more "colorful" but less commonly used synonym of 'trip.' That's to say, we're feeling pretty perky when we use it. It's said in fun: Let's take a jaunt up the coast! Let's take a quick jaunt on your new motorcycle! Let's jaunt up ahead and surprise them!

Tresley

British English
    I would never use the word 'jaunt' because it is old-fashioned.

I sometimes hear the word said by old people, in American films etc, and it always makes me smile because it is such a dated word in the UK.

The word 'trip' is much more common in the UK.

Sr. Moose

Banned
    Frostbite Falls, Alces and English
    Yes, Mara, usage of the word jaunt is strictly reserved for people with a tendency toward smiling quite often, people inclined to a little mischief-making now and then, those who like to hug and kiss a lot, eccentric characters who are bold enough to find hilarity in our human predicament, those rascals who truly find enjoyment in cobbling funny words together. :)

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    To me a jaunt is more aimless than a trip - "a jaunt down to Wigan" sounds all wrong, Brioche, as most jaunts would be unlikely to have a target. One is more likely to leave home with no particular destination in mind.

Don't forget that I live in the land of the jaunting car!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Around here, a jaunt is quite specifically a supposed business trip that has a distinctly social content. A weekend in Dublin for a one-hour product demonstration on a Saturday morning on the day of the Ireland-Wales rugby international. That is a jaunt, a jolly, or a legitimate business expense.

< Previous | Next >