Trippin

< Previous | Next >

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
Hi Group,

What does "Trippin" mean? Is the same thing as "Hallucination" or not? Is written with "g" at the end of the word or without the "g" and only with the accent at the end of the word or without the accent can be also undertood by native-English-speakers?

• JJchang

NZ - English, Chinese
    tripping: falling; drunkenness. It's not exactly the same as "hallucination". "hallucination" means feeling something which doesn't exist.
    it can be understood by native speakers, but it's not a good practice to do so.

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Antonio said:
    Hi Group,

What does "Trippin" mean? Is the same thing as "Hallucination" or not? Is written with "g" at the end of the word or without the "g" and only with the accent at the end of the word or without the accent can be also undertood by native-English-speakers?
    Hey Antonio;
    First off...
    Tripping--Falling..being a clumsy person..
    'Oh! would you look at her..forever tripping over her own feet'..

Trippin--bad experience on drugs...
    'Man..I will never do those drugs again..was I ever trippin last night..saw pink Elephants and everything'...

tg;)

suzzzenn

USA English
    Hi,

Trip and tripping are (were) popular slang. In the late 60's to be tripping meant that you were high from hallucinogenic drugs.

He is tripping. = Under the influence of drugs
    He is having a bad trip = He is having a negative drug experience.

There were lots of expressions that grew out of this. In the 70's and 80's you heard:

What a trip! = This could have a literal meaning - you had an eventful visit somewhere or it could mean that something has a strange almost hallucinatory quality. I still say this sometimes when something seems surreal.

You're trippin' = you're so crazy (or misguided) that it's like you are under the influence of drugs.

I am not sure if teenagers still use trip in this way.

:) Susan

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Trippin without the "g" has other meanings, too, but they're hard to explain and have to be understood in context. It's very colloquial.

to be "cool" : "She's really cool, she's trippin."
    to be "nuts"/crazy: "Go jogging at 3 a.m.!--are you trippin, man?"
    to be "really into something"/enthusiastic: "Wow, this new CD is cool, I'm really trippin!"

Here's a definition and some other examples from the Urban Dictionary:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Trippin'&defid=740730

< Previous | Next >