triturar con batidora

Ripley_y

Spanish, Spain
Hola a todos
Tengo una duda.
Batir es whisk, weap... dependiendo de lo que se "bata".
Pero en español al hecho de utilizar para triturar algo (por ej, verdura) en la batidora electrica (mixer), le decimos también batir. ¿Que verbo sería el apropiado en dicho caso? ¿"To mix"?. Y si quisiera decir, triturar (con batidora electrica) finamente o muy fino, ¿como lo podría decir? ¿To mix finely?
Gracias por la ayuda, un saludo a todos

• Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    You use a blender to blend. You use an electric mixer to whip or to mix (which wouldn't work with vegetables). You use a food processor to chop, slice, puree, dice, etc.

("Mixing" involves combining things, not cutting them with a blade. If you are taking something solid and chopping it up, you usually say that you are using a [name of appliance] to [standard cooking verbs not specifically related to that appliance]. There are many, many, many of these verbs depending on the exact size of the final pieces.)

mokane

English
    Look at a Waring Blender and each button has a synonym for the same thing: mash, liquify, chop: chop vegetables; slice and dice; etc.
    Also, we would tend to say "food processor" or blender.
    Perdóname pero no encuentro mi diccionario de ideas afines, se extravío.

Ripley_y

Spanish, Spain
    Ok. Entonces, cojo verdura: tomate, pimiento... y lo introduzco en un food procesor hasta hacerlo todo líquido (gazpacho andaluz!). ¿Que estoy haciendo? Am I blending it???

EDITO y AÑADO: Que diferencia existe entre mix y blend????

Roberto_Mendoza

Spanish - México
    Ok. Entonces, cojo verdura: tomate, pimiento... y lo introduzco en un food procesor hasta hacerlo todo líquido (gazpacho andaluz!). ¿Que estoy haciendo? Am I blending it???

EDITO y AÑADO: Que diferencia existe entre mix y blend????
    Para mí, "mix" se usa más comúnmente cuando los ingredientes mezclados no pierden su consistencia, mientras que "blend" (yo lo entiendo como licuar) implica precisamente la integración de todos los ingredientes en una sustancia. Saludos.

Last edited:

mokane

English
    hacerlo todo liquido=liquify.
    No soy chef, tienen su vocabulario especial, y ya no tengo mi Waring Blender tampoco.
    Difference between mix and blend=mixing things, like a salad, the items retain their individual identities. Blend, like a batido, you can't find the ice cream (or the fruit), it is mixed with the milk or the water to become a new material.

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    'Mix' and 'blend' can be similar in some contexts, but when it comes to appliances and food, 'mixing' is what you do with a mixer and 'blending' is what you do with a blender. The wikipedia articles have photos of these two appliances:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixer_(cooking)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_(device)

The main difference is that a blender has sharp blades. (You can puree in a blender. You can only mix already liquid or already very soft items in a mixer.)

Edited to add: 'Liquefy' is correct, but I think it sounds gross. 'Puree' is more specifically a cooking term, and it makes me think of food instead of all of the other gross ways things can become liquid-y. (I've been watching a lot of CSI: Miami lately. Corpses' organs liquefy. Eww.)

It looks like 'liquefy' is used in cooking, but not for pureeing (blending/mashing/smashing/straining/crushing to produce a liquid). It's used more when you're heating a solid to turn it into a liquid or when a part of the food that you want to be solid becomes too liquid-y by accident.

There are mountains of specialized cooking verbs. I suggest finding an English-language copy of the Larousse Gastronomique or The Joy of Cooking and looking at the vocabulary sections.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >