trope

Singha

English - England
Hi there,

I have a question about the usage of the word "trope". When I look it up in the dictionary, the definition that comes up is "a word or expression used in a figurative sense". However, I've heard it used in a slightly different way than this. For example, the "locked-out lover trope" in literature. I'm writing an essay right now and exploring a female name which appears in several poems. I argue that she is not necessarily the same person but she does plays a recurrent role. Can I describe that as a trope or is that the wrong word?

• lordignus

British English
    A "trope" in this sense is a commonly used theme or scenario. I don't think just a name is enough to satisfy the definition of a trope.

Singha

English - England
    I don't mean that the name is the trope. I mean that the character has a recurrent role. Although some of her details in each poem change, she always plays the role of the seductress.

lordignus

British English
    Could you give some more information?

If all of the poems were written by the same person, then it definitely wouldn't be a trope, just a recurring character. If not, then maybe - we need to know more about these poems :)

Singha

English - England
    Yes, the poems are written by the same person. I prefer not to give too much information here as this is part of my essay, but I just can't think of the word I'm looking for. I originally thought it was "trope", but that's just not quite right.

< Previous | Next >