trouble-shooting

veekay

Switzerland, English&French
Hi everyone,

how would u say trouble-shooting in french? (there's no equivalent expression in french that i know of & can't quite think of a good way to say it :) )

thanks,
V.

• veekay

thanks jabote,

is there a less 'technical' word?... dunno if u see what i mean... um, I'm actually translating a document at work and i think 'troubleshooting' wasnt the right word to begin with...(the doc's about project team activities, so I guess more along the lines of 'proposer des solutions', etc)

ta!
    v.

Gil

Français, Canada
    veekay said:
    thanks jabote,

is there a less 'technical' word?... dunno if u see what i mean... um, I'm actually translating a document at work and i think 'troubleshooting' wasnt the right word to begin with...(the doc's about project team activities, so I guess more along the lines of 'proposer des solutions', etc)

ta!
    v.
    facilitation?

rayb

Chile - Spanish
    Jabote said:
    ... and this expression is NOT current language.... really not quite sure everybody would understand what you mean....

Sorry for the e mispelling. Regarding the expression "Manuel des castors" in French or "Beaver Handbook" in English, I'm sure that all scouts and Walt Disney visitors and their family and friends understand that it is an instruction guide with all the tips and hints.

Jabote

French from France
    rayb said:
    Sorry for the e mispelling. Regarding the expression "Manuel des castors" in French or "Beaver Handbook" in English, I'm sure that all scouts and Walt Disney visitors and their family and friends understand that it is an instruction guide with all the tips and hints.

This is exactly what I meant: ONLY these people will understand... and by ONLY, I mean especially in France
    icon12.gif

LV4-26

"manuel des castors" definitely doesn't sound 'current language' to me, although I have heard it a few times (I'm a native french speaker). My favorite solution would be a combination of valérie's two suggestions : "résolution des problèmes". I think this is how "troubleshooting" is generally translated in technical docs (but that doesn't mean it's the best translation)
    I'll call back if I find something better.

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    veekay said:
    thanks jabote,

ta!
    v.

I'm not sure of your context, but one equivalent for "troubleshooting" is "résolution de problèmes."

Gil

Français, Canada
    If as you write:
    i think 'troubleshooting' wasnt the right word to begin with...
    I will suggest something when you come up with the right word.

veekay

Thanks for all ur suggestions!

Gil- the word 'trouble-shooting' is in the original English doc I am translating into French; I didn't come up with it, and personally didn't find it quite fit the context as I explained in my 2nd post i think..

:)
    v.