true patriot

< Previous | Next >

Mher85

Armenian
What is the right place for "true patriot"?

“It is with great sadness that I learned of the passing away of the distinguished Lebanese-Armenian statesman and public figure, true patriot, former Lebanese Minister and MP Suren Khanamirian."

• Gavril

English, USA
    What is the right place for "true patriot"?

“It is with great sadness that I learned of the passing away of the distinguished Lebanese-Armenian statesman and public figure, true patriot, former Lebanese Minister and MP Suren Khanamirian."
    The place where you put true patriot is fine, because "true patriot" is probably the characteristic you most want to emphasize (more so than "statesman" or "public figure") in this case.

However, you need to move the word and to a different position, right before true patriot:

It is with great sadness that I learned of the passing away of the distinguished Lebanese-Armenian statesman, public figure and true patriot, former Lebanese Minister and MP Suren Khanamirian.

Mher85

Armenian
    However, you need to move the word and to a different position, right before true patriot:
    Do not you think that in this case "true patriot" would be linked to "the distinguished Lebanese-Armenian statesman"? Something like "...the passing away of the distinguished Lebanese-Armenian . . .true patriot."

Gavril

English, USA
    Do not you think that in this case "true patriot" would be linked to "the distinguished Lebanese-Armenian statesman"?
    What do you mean by "linked to"?

If you use the sentence I wrote above, then all of the following phrases will be understood to refer to the same person: the distinguished Lebanese-Armenian statesmen / public figure / true patriot / former Lebanese Minister and MP / Suren Khanamirian.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Do not you think that in this case "true patriot" would be linked to "the distinguished Lebanese-Armenian statesman"? Something like "...the passing away of the distinguished Lebanese-Armenian . . .true patriot."
    They are linked by being in a list of descriptions of the deceased. There is no implicit link between the qualities, any more than if it were "Chocolate-lover, keen golfer and true patriot".

< Previous | Next >