Trump card vs. ace in the hole

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
Holding the breath is his "trump card" or "ace in the hole". He can hold the breath for a very long time during the swimming.

Are they both correct and the same? If so, which is better in this situation? Thank you.

• Scott AM

English - Canada
    These are both very similar in meaning. They refer to something you can reveal at the right time, to give you a decisive advantage over your opponents.

I personally see an "ace in the hole" as referring to something that is definitely hidden or kept secret. While a "trump card" is kept in reserve, but might not be hidden or unknown.

So I suppose it depends - do other swimmers know about this person's talent for holding his breath? If not, "ace in the hole" might be better. If yes, "trump card" might work better. Personally, I prefer "ace in the hole".

Myridon

English - US
    While playing bridge, every card in your hand (and the other three hands) that is of the correct suit is a trump card. Each round there are 13 trump cards in play (unless the bid is "no trump") and each player is likely to have more than one. It sounds unusual to me to say "his trump card" as if there were always only one.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    While playing bridge, every card in your hand (and the other three hands) that is of the correct suit is a trump card. Each round there are 13 trump cards in play (unless the bid is "no trump") and each player is likely to have more than one. It sounds unusual to me to say "his trump card" as if there were always only one.
    True, but the figurative use seems to ignore that (for a long time I played Precision Club but then left bridge entirely) The figurative use is one of surprise power - when everyone else has figuratively followed suit but you (are able to ) use a trump card, you win, to the surprise of others. Now, it's just a trump card wins against any other suit. Trump card

< Previous | Next >