Trust me

< Previous | Next >

schmooze

Australia - English
I'm feeling decidedly greedy and pushy here with my endless queries...but here I go again...
trust me....using fidarsi..... how will I tell someone in the 'tu' form to trust me? fidatemi ! doesn't look right to me !

• franx

Italy - Italian, US English
    or also just "fidati", which is a little less spelled out than "fidati di me" (in either case, the stress is on the first vowel: fidati).

Sometimes, when English might say "trust me", Italian might prefer "credimi" (believe me): "Trust me, I had never seen someone that angry!" --> "Credimi, non avevo mai visto qualcuno così arrabbiato!"

"fidati (di me)" calls on the person to make a little (or bigger) leap of faith and go with what you say even if they are not convinced, whereas "credimi" is simply calling on the person to believe that you're telling the truth.

Of course, both things might be applicable in certain situations, so which one you use depends on the aspect you want to stress the most. Also, it would not be inappropriate to start with "credimi" and then, if the person is still not convinced, resort to a "fidati"...

Ciao, hope this helps! ;)

schmooze

Australia - English
    Dear Franx,
    Thank you very much for your detailed and eloquent reply.
    I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of the people here who are helping me so much. This site is a Godsend !
    Thank you ~!
    schmooze ( Amanda )

micaelam

italiano
    schmooze said:
    I'm feeling decidedly greedy and pushy here with my endless queries...but here I go again...
    trust me....using fidarsi..... how will I tell someone in the 'tu' form to trust me? fidatemi ! doesn't look right to me !

mercedesm

Italy/italian
    schmooze said:
    Hello! the correct form is "fidati !" or "fidati di me" (fidatemi actually does not exist). ciao ciao

< Previous | Next >