trusted (in) him

JessicaK

Banned
chinese
NY Times
It was in his eyes all along, she had said, and she trusted in him despite signs to the contrary. "Not too many people would do that," he said.
NY Times
Even in post-shellacking mid-December, polls found that Americans still trusted him[ more than Washington’s Republican leaders to fix the nation’s ills — health care included, according to the ABC News-Washington Post survey on that question.
Are "trust in" and "trust" the same?

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Pretty much. One is transitive (with the object of the trusting being the direct object) and the other being intransitive (with the object of the trusting being the indirect object).

Dicitonary.reference.com would have helped you avoid asking us!

verb (used without object)
    to rely upon or place confidence in someone or something (usually followed by in or to ): to trust in another's honesty; trusting to luck.
    verb (used with object)
    to have trust or confidence in; rely or depend on.
    Edit : And by the way, both are "correct" :D

JessicaK

Banned
    chinese
    Other than transitiveness/intransitiveness, the WR.com dictionary (and many other dictionaries) don't seem to differentiate between the two. So "to trust in somebody" and "to trust somebody" could be used interchangeably in all circumstances?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I can believe something someone tells me. For example, someone tells me
    "it is half past three", I believe that the time is 3:30. However, I may not trust that this person will not to try to steal from me.

One last time but in different words:
    Belief and trust are not the same thing, although the meaning of trust describes a certain manner of belief.
    To believe someone is not the same as to believe in someone.
    To put your trust in someone is the same as to trust someone.

< Previous | Next >