Try not blushing

volver

french belgium
Hello,

I gave an advice to my friend regarding an interview.
I said to her try not blushing or try not to blush once you get to the interview.

Could you tell me if it's try not blushing or not to blush ?

Thank you,

VOLVER

• jdenson

USA / English
    Hello,

I said to her try not blushing or try not to blush once you get to the interview.

Thank you,

VOLVER
    Both are correct, but an advice is not. One gives advice or one gives a piece/bit, etc. of advice.
    JD

Victoria32

English (UK) New Zealand
    Hello,

Thank you,

VOLVER
    Try not blushing sounds like a challenge : "Read this book and try not blushing!" - so the sentence you want is "Try not to blush"...

VL

hpesoj

England - English
    Both essentially mean the same thing, however in my opinion "Try not blushing" sounds more like a suggestion, e.g. "If that doesn't work, try not blushing". "Try not to blush" sounds more like an instruction "Try not to blush, then you will do better". It depends how sure you are of your advice :).

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I agree with Victoria. Both are grammatically correct, but the one that fits here is "try not to blush."

However, I can think of a scenario in which "try not blushing" would work. Let's say this is the sixth interview with the same person and the interviewee has felt that the interviewer was looking at her strangely the first five times. Every time she tried to change something about her presentation but the strange looks were still there. She has noticed that she has blushed every time, so this time her friend tells her "Try not blushing; maybe that'll do the trick."