try something calcine

pattydiphusa

italian
I have to translate this: " Well, I’m always up for trying something calcine or something new".
I can't get what this "calcine" means.
Thank you for your help.
Patty

• Copyright

American English
    I have to translate this: "Well, I’m always up for trying something calcine or something new".
    I can't get what this "calcine" means.
    Well, I think you're in for a long night. I've never heard this expression (nor the word) and M-W describes the noun form (rather than the verb form; there is no adjective form) as a product (as a metal oxide) of calcination or roasting.

pattydiphusa

italian
    Guy 1: Aussie cuisine, yeah, sure. Yeah. Well, we’re thinking about what to do with you, and I thought we might cook one of the animals off the national emblem, maybe some kangaroo.

Guy 2: Well, I’m always up for trying something calcine or something new. So it appears that you have taken me quite literally about my desire to indulge in authentic Aussie fare.

Loob

English UK
    Is "Guy2" a first-language English speaker? Leaving aside the "calcine", what he says seems a bit stilted....

Copyright

American English
    Funny, when I read "roasted" in the definition, I thought of an animal... and it seems like it's a kangaroo. Perhaps roasted or a synonym is close enough for your translation? It should be amusing if possible, but it's not necessary -- it's pretty funny as it is.

Copyright

American English
    Alchemy is where you try to turn kangaroo into emu. They're Australians... I figure they're roasting the roo myself. :)

Packard

USA, English
    Alchemy is where you try to turn kangaroo into emu. They're Australians... I figure they're roasting the roo myself. :)

Into a gold emu, certainly. But by extension, Alchemy can mean changing the form of something by "magic" or witchcraft. So I could see this being used in that sense.

< Previous | Next >