Tryin to stretch out the coca

< Previous | Next >

mercutio of justice

spanish
Hi there! So my question this time is about the meaning of the sentence 'Tryin to stretch out the coca' found in the lyrics of the song titled 'Dirt off your shoulder' made by Linkin Park.

Your homey Hov' in position, in the kitchen with soda
I just whipped up a watch, tryin to get me a Rover
Tryin to stretch out the coca, like a wrestler, yessir
Keep the Heckler close, you know them smokers'll test ya
I just don't have any clue of what it could mean... Thank you all!

• heypresto

English - England
    Only two potential meanings spring to mind, but I'm not by any means certain they're correct: The first is something to do with drawing out a line of cocaine, and the second is to do with eking out his stash of cocaine. But then I've no idea why either of these should be 'like a wrestler'.

Pure, uniformed guesses, I'm afraid.

Much of the rest of the quote goes over my head too - like whipping up a watch, getting me a Rover, keeping the Heckler close . . .

Cross-posted

Last edited:

mercutio of justice

spanish
    Only two potential meanings spring to mind, but I'm not by any means certain they're correct: The first is something to do with drawing out a line of cocaine, and the second is to do with eking out his stash of cocaine. But then I've no idea why either of these should be 'like a wretler'.

Pure, uniformed guesses, I'm afraid.

Much of the rest of the quote goes over my head too - like whipping up a watch, getting me a Rover, keeping the Heckler close . . .

Cross-posted

I see.. well, could this all be just about singing some random stuff and making it all rhyme somehow? I thought I was actually missing something since I was not understanding this at all, but now i see I might not be the only one here with these questions in mind... I appreciate all the help that's been given to me so far, and any other ideas that you may provide to me related to this will be more than welcome as well! thanks!

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Wrestlers are known to use cocaine both to stay alert and to help them fight through pain and injury -- much of pro wrestling may be choreography, but just watching them you know they suffer routine injuries. Succumbing to these injuries, rather than fighting through them, would be problematic for their careers. Also, cocaine is an appetite suppressant, so between cocaine and steroids, it's easier to maintain the ripped, fat-free, muscular bodies they're expected to have.

As an aside, Rover is likely a Land Rover (in all black), a masculine vehicle that has pretty much replaced the over-the-top Hummer for styling out in the city. And Heckler and Koch is the manufacturer of well-regarded 9mm pistols, among other weapons.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    There is an explanation of the lyrics at rapgenius.com.

Their explanation for the lines we are concerned with:
    JayZ is in the kitchen, cooking up cocaine, thinking of what he'll buy with the profit. "Jay's trying to 'stretch out' (dilute) the cocaine (so he can get some more stuff). Wrestlers stretch people." *

I suggest that you look at the site itself for their explanation of the rest of the lyrics.

(*Meanwhile, Copyright has given another explanation. I am no judge of which is more likely.)

Last edited:

heypresto

English - England
    Wrestlers are known to use cocaine both to stay alert and to help them fight through pain and injury -- much of pro wrestling may be choreography, but just watching them you know they suffer routine injuries. Succumbing to these injuries, rather than fighting through them, would be problematic for their careers. Also, cocaine is an appetite suppressant, so between cocaine and steroids, it's easier to maintain the ripped, fat-free, muscular bodies they're expected to have.

As an aside, Rover is likely a Land Rover (in all black), a masculine vehicle that has pretty much replaced the over-the-top Hummer for styling out in the city. And Heckler and Koch is the manufacturer of well-regarded 9mm pistols, among other weapons.
    Wow - thanks for that. I've learned something new here.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    There is an explanation of the lyrics at rapgenius.com.

Their explanation for the lines we are concerned with:
    JayZ is in the kitchen, cooking up cocaine, thinking of what he'll buy with the profit. "Jay's trying to 'stretch out' (dilute) the cocaine (so he can get some more stuff). Wrestlers stretch people." *

I suggest that you look at the site itself for their explanation of the rest of the lyrics.

(*Meanwhile, Copyright has given another explanation. I am no judge of which is more likely.)
    Oh, definitely go with Rap Genius, which I am not -- I was just interpreting it for myself from scratch. ;)

Thank you for the link, Cagey ... I can see referring to that one in the future. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >