Trynka

< Previous | Next >

shippothekit

Canada; English
As I've mentioned from my previous post I'm of Polish background and I would like to know one thing. I'm very interested in name origins and mine is particularly rare. My surname is Trynka. I'm interested to know what it means. I haven't found a meaning or it in the Polish dictionary. Does anyone know what this name could possibly mean?

Thanks for your help. :)

• Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Just a thought:
    Your surname looks feminine*, its masculne counterpart would be Trynek.

There's a city in the south of Poland (in Silesia) called Gliwice, one of its districts bears name Trynek, which is said to origin from German Tränke meaning watering place.

Tom

*but it's not out of the question that a male could bear it too, has your surname always been Trynka? Has its form been changed?

shippothekit

Canada; English
    Well I honestly don't know. I would imagine it would have been americanized (though I'm Canadian lol) when he came into Canada. However my opa moved from Poland to Germany when they forced him to work during the war and then to Chile for work after getting married in Germany to my oma. They then went back to Germany and then to Canada so it could have been changed any time in there. Unless they only change it in the US & Canada.

The Y in Trynka could have easily been changed to an I as well.

< Previous | Next >