tryptophan haze

< Previous | Next >

novice_81

German
Hi

I was at my mom’s house in West Virginia, where I grew up. I was on her couch in a tryptophan haze on
Thanksgiving Day. (Voices of the Food Revolution/John Robbins)

What does it mean "in a tryptophan haze"? Excited? Sleepy?

• e2efour

UK English
    It has been claimed that taking tryptophan or foods that are supposed to contain it makes you drowsy.
    I suppose that the idea is that feeling sleepy also makes you confused or uncertain (hazy).

(Turkey is wrongly supposed to be high in tryptophan, which may explain the reference to Thanksgiving Day, when Americans traditionally eat this bird.)

Last edited:

tepatria

Canadian English
    Trytophane in an amino acid. After a big meal on Thanksgiving Day, people usually feel lethargic, warm and sleepy. Apparently this is an effect from trytophane which is present in cooked turkey - maybe raw too, I'm not sure, but I don't eat it raw.:)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Trytophane in an amino acid. After a big meal on Thanksgiving Day, people usually feel lethargic, warm and sleepy. Apparently this is an effect from trytophane which is present in cooked turkey - maybe raw too, I'm not sure, but I don't eat it raw.:)
    Tryptophane is the older spelling for the same molecule.

The "Thanksgiving haze" appears not to be reated directly to the intake of tryptophan but more to the amount of food consumed, since turkey is no richer in the substance than many other foods. However, it is widely credited with the effect, and the speaker/author is probably aware. There is a wiki on the substance and it explains the mechanism of the cause of drowsiness, which does involve tryptophan.

< Previous | Next >