1. jorge_val_ribera

jorge_val_ribera Senior Member

Bolivia
    Español
    Hello everybody!

Ingrid - Tu m'as promis

I would love to understand this song completely so I'm translating it. I do what I can, because my French skills are very poor. Anyway, armed with some basic knowledge, my Spanish grammar and a dictionary I gave it a try and it went pretty well, except from this line which I don't understand: "Tu est foutu." I couldn't find this verb (fouter?) in the dictionary. From the context, I think she says something like "You've gone", so I thought it comes from "fuir", but its past participle is fui... Can you please help me?

Thanks a lot in advance! Bye!

2. Xanthius

Xanthius Senior Member

I think you'll find it's "tu es foutu", means "you're dumped".

Do you understand the rest of the song.. (ie you promised me, I believed you... etc...).

(and more to the point... why??? do you like the song!?!?!?)...?

Ps, foutu is from foutre, which has many many meanings...!

3. Xanthius

Xanthius Senior Member

Slightly of the title of the thread (I know, sorry!), but your link didn't work for me, however I found an mp3 of the song on t'internet... I think it goes something like this:

You promised me
    And I believed you

you promised me the sun in winter, and a rainbow
    you promised me the golden sand, but I received a post card
    you promised me the heavens and the earth and a life of love

you promised me you heart and your smile, but I got grimaces.

you promised me a winged horse, that I never got

you promised me the thread of Ariane( ?), but you cut it (off ?)
    you promised me the music of Mozart not broken plates(?)
    you promised me I’d be your queen, but for a scepter I had a broom

I don’t know what’s going on...
    But I do know why they call me “Mrs No-luck”

You’re dumped!

All edits welcome.

M

4. jorge_val_ribera

jorge_val_ribera Senior Member

Bolivia
    Español
    Thank you for your help!

Oh, sorry, I confused myself with "est" and "es", it's of course "Tu es foutu".

You've asked why do I want to understand the song...well, yes, I like the song, it's got good rythm and the singer has a nice voice.

5. Zoltan Member

Canada english
    I always thought that "t'es foutu" is to be screwed

Faire foutre though is to not give a s**t

6. kito1 Member

Paris
    France
    I agree with you. And actually "tu es foutu" does not exactly mean "you're dumped".

7. Xanthius

Xanthius Senior Member

I am always happy to except that there is a better translation than the one I have given... What do you recommend for any of the above, and/or "tu es foutu"...? Do you think 'you are screwed' is better in this context? (it doesn't really work for me, given the rest of the lyrics... but then I am not native...)...?

8. kito1 Member

Paris
    France
    It's quite hard for me to understand why she used "tu es foutu" to say "you're dumped". Actually we understand what she wants to tell, but it's awkward. (Is Ingrid French ?)

"Foutu" has a lot of meanings, and I think the aptest one here is:

so something like "you're lost", or "screwed". And "you're screwed" doesn't mean "you're dumped", does it ?

So if you say "tu es foutu" to your French gril/boyfriend, she/he won't understand that she/he's dumped !

9. Xanthius

Xanthius Senior Member

Hi.

I see. You're quite right that screws/dumped are very different... I think Ingrid is actually Spanish, it certainly sounds as if she is not French...

So, (sorry, I'm a little confused now) if you were told "tu es foutu" after being told that you had broken lots of promises, would you interperate it as "you're screwed", becuase that seems an odd thig to say after telling someone they've broken promises...

"You promsed me a Christmas pressent and you forgot... you're screwed"

It doesn't mean anything to me...

So... do you think that 'you're screwed' is the best translation for these song lyrics. Do you see what I mean, or do you think I'm looking too hard for a meaning?

All comments welcome...!

10. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    You're history?

11. Xanthius

Xanthius Senior Member

I agree that does fit nicely here, but not wishing to be provocative, you're history means the same are you're dumped...?

12. kito1 Member

Paris
    France
    In fact I agree with you: I don't see any better translation than "you're dumped" here, because I guess that's what she wants to say. But I just wanted to let you know that it doesn't mean "tu es foutu".

And if I were told "tu es foutu" after being told I had broken lots of promises, well, I wouldn't understand ! ;) And I wouldn't interprate it as you're screwed, because that would not make any sense to me. That's why "tu es foutu" is very strange in this song !

13. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    How about "you're out"? (you're done with?)

14. Jessila

Jessila Senior Member

France
    France, french
    sorry I ain't got time to read all the comments above (though I read the first ones).

to make it short, I'd say:
    "t'es foutu" ==> "you're screwed", or "you're in big trouble"

and as someone put it, "foutu" is the p.p from "foutre", which has many meanings (among which "cum"), and the given example: "vas te faire foutre" (sorry it's very vulgar) means "f*** you"

15. Xanthius

Xanthius Senior Member

I understand now, Thanks Kito.

16. alexsinge New Member

US English
    I got sick of reading all the posts by people who don't really know what they are talking about, so I'm not sure if you actually figured it out yet...

but "Tu est foutu" means you are f****ed or you are screwed. Final answer.

17. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    :thumbsdown: One of the nice things about these forums is that they allow you to explore and to learn about the complexities of even the commonest words (and to avoid oversimplifications). This thread on "How offensive is foutre" is a gold-mine: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=42197

18. texasweed

texasweed Banned

French-born/US English
    I don't agree with you on this one. There are many other ways to translate "tu es foutu." I believe Pieanne is the closest with "you're history" and my input is : you're dead meat.

If my son doesn't pass his math test, he's not screwed or fu**ed, yet I can assure you that when he comes home he's dead meat !

Figure of speech, of course. Quoi que ...

19. I Really do want to welcome our new first-post-moderator introducing this new rule in this forum .I do appreciate this definitive Craig-list's-Rants-and-raves-Smith & Wesson-style .Nevertheless on this eastern side of the pond , in this tiny land ,where this satanic french langage is spoken ,we, this first sunday after Easter ,having a beautiful sun shining over ours heads .Several drugstores are open , so we are able to buy some pills to help us stand that a word might have two different meanings .I heard some people talking of even more ,but I personally do not believe this can be possible .You will understand my support to your suggestion of using ****and consequently only one compuslory arbitration post per thread .How peaceful will this be , this will also allow me to only have a single page with 24 lines on my dictionnary .
    At this time we had to stand and unsufferable foutu wich had many meanings in our old "so-called-rich "french language .
    One of them with a dirty meaning ; your use of the poetic "***"stars turned it pollitically correct , thank you for that .:thumbsup:
    One other meaning meant broken /over ,sometimes (before you ) , for example a child could have said "mon train électrique est foutu "
    This may be the meaning used in this song of INGRID "Tu m'as promis "
    The girl is sad , she tells to her boy friend that he is a liar , she realized it and it's all over now with him .
    Final answer :p
    René

20. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    <severe mod mode on>
    Please refrain replying to this kind of stupid attack, guys!
    You'd better report this bad post by clicking on the red triangle situated at its right upper corner. ;)

Now, you have all infringed several rules (which reading I kindly recommend to our delicious newbie):

And, last but not least, guys (please these ones in mind when you feel attacked, offended and angry):

I know that there are many other places on the web where quarrels and fights are most welcome and even add to the fun. WR is by no means such a place. Please never forget it and let the moderators settle such situations.

Thank you very much. :)

<severe mod mode off>

21. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    Nous sommes foutus, guys!

22. Saurai

Saurai Senior Member

Los Angeles, California
    English, Kriol

23. grignotine

grignotine Member

Marseilles
    France, French
    and she provides a translation of her song herself:

You Promised me
    Just me and you

You Promised me the moon
    and the sun the birds in he sky

You Promised me a wonderfull life,
    they were only lies?
    You Promised me all diamond
    and pearls that I never got
    You Promised me red roses
    and gold but soon you forgot.

You Promised me
    Just me and you

You Promised me I could
    be your Queen and you'd be my king
    You Promised me a white wedding dress
    But where is the ring?
    You Promised me your tender caress
    your kisses at night
    So try to show it wasn't in vein
    cuz I'm wasting my time

You Promised me
    Just me and you

Tu Es Foutu
    tu-tu-tu
    Tu Es Foutu
    tu-tu-tu

I don't Know What to do with my life
    But I know my rule is no second chance
    You Promised me
    You Promised me
    You Promised me

Tu Es Foutu
    tu-tu-tu
    Tu Es Foutu
    tu-tu-tu

Regardless of the few mistakes, you probably noticed that she did not bother to translate the darned word ;)
    I would suggest she probably used the word "out of context", mainly for the rhythm.

et je suis d'accord pour dire que cela n'a aucun sens en français, sauf à penser que son malheureux compagnon est atteint d'une maladie mortelle :(

Je crois que nous "sodomisons des dyptères"....

> thank you all for the hilarious thread, testifying of our ancestral war with our beloved foes on this or that side of the Atlantic.
    I was as much enthralled reading Xanthius's dry wit, or Nopal pooh-poohing Alex as when I read Stephen Clerke's last book.

Merde does happen, and as he would have it, why don't we thank all Americans for being American, All Brits for being so British, all the French for being so French, all the Belgians for being so Belgian, etc...

It's now time for my croissants et café au lait. Have a nice day! :D

24. grignotine

grignotine Member

Marseilles
    France, French
    Sorry for the double post, but this might actually help Jorge, when he wakes up:

You promised me (tradução)

Ingrid

Composição: Indisponível
    Tu me prometeu
    Só eu e tu

Você me prometeu uma linda vida
    Eram somente mentiras?
    Você me prometeu todos os diamantes
    E pérolas que eu nunca vou conhecer
    Você me prometeu rosas vermelhas
    E ouro, mas Você logo esqueceu-se

Você me prometeu