"tub" refered to car?

mj2332

Italian
Hello there,
my question is simple yet I cannot find any answer on the net. I would like to know what the word "tub" means referred to a car piece. Are there any synonims for this word?
Thanks in advance :)

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Tubbing" a car refers to modifying it so it can use very wide tires without making the car any wider. That involves modifying the wheel wells and making the axles shorter. This can be a lot of work.

Also, "tub" means an old, slow boat that is not in very good condition. People might also use it to refer to that type of car.

Does either of these fit your context?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The "tub" of a car was a term used in early car manufacture and referred to the passenger (and, where applicable, the driver's) compartment that was placed upon the chassis during production.

mj2332

Italian
    The "tub" of a car was a term used in early car manufacture and referred to the passenger (and, where applicable, the driver's) compartment that was placed upon the chassis during production.
    Thanks for the answer (and all of the answers).
    So can we say it's like a synonimous of 'cockpit'? Because that's what I tought it meant...

Andygc

British English
    I suggest that most people would not have the faintest idea of what you were trying to say. That sentence is meaningless to me.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The carbon fiber tub makes the car light and fast
    That would fit with the idea of the "passenger compartment" or even "the entire body" - there's not much else on a car would "make the car light and fast" and is made of carbon fibre.

mj2332

Italian
    That would fit with the idea of the "passenger compartment" or even "the entire body" - there's not much else on a car would "make the car light and fast" and is made of carbon fibre.
    Yeah, I guessed it was something similar but since I could not find anything about it I thought of asking.
    Thank you :)

Here is a sentence from the site below:
    The closest thing to what I have in mind is the carbon fibre tub from the McLaren MP4-12C and I'd argue that this 400Kg sports car is better use of this technology too! Unfortunately, the technology and the mass production techniques behind it are not a realistic proposition for this 'one off' car and I'm going to have to think of some innovative alternative to realise the 'tub' at a reasonable price.

There is a picture of the 'tub' at

400Kg Sports Car • Design • Chassis

Note: No, it is not the body.

It is the lower half of the interior compartment and it contains, but is far larger than the passenger seat itself.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >