tug on that leash

< Previous | Next >

presl

Hi! :)

Is “tug on that leash” a proverb in English?

If it is, could you tell me what it means? Many thanks!

(Prison Break – Michael went to the yard to talk with Charles, he tried to persuade Charles to take part in his escape plan in order to share the money which Charles obtained by hijacking the plane in the past)

Michael: Wouldn't be an issue if you were on the outside. [Charles’ cat was lost during the riot and he was pretty sad since he could not find his cat anywhere. Here Michael was saying that you {D. B. Cooper} could get another cat when you were outside these walls – Michael was trying to get him on board]

Charles: Still tugging on that leash, eh?

Michael: Yep, and this is the part where I extend a formal invitation. [Michael was inviting D. B. Cooper to break out of this prison with him]

Charles: 'Cause you still think I'm D.B. Cooper?

... ...

[In the end, Charles denied the fact that he is D.B. Cooper, the one who was in the possession of the five million dollars. And he hoped Michael did not make this whole escape dependent on that money]

(I hope I had made this context clear for you to answer my question, if it does not, please let me know, and I will do my best to make it better!)

Last edited:
  • out2lnch

English-Canada
    It's not a proverb, but rather symbolic that Michael is trying repeatedly to lead him in a particular direction. The image is of a dog-walker tugging on the leash of a resisting dog [e.g. who has stopped to sniff a fire hydrant] to get him going in the direction the walker wants him to go.

presl

It's not a proverb, but rather symbolic that Michael is trying repeatedly to lead him in a particular direction. The image is of a dog-walker tugging on the leash of a resisting dog [e.g. who has stopped to sniff a fire hydrant] to get him going in the direction the walker wants him to go.
    Thanks for your help, out2lnch! I get it now!

:) :)

< Previous | Next >