tug on the rug

< Previous | Next >

Garin

Czech - Czechia
I promise, this is my last post regarding the "Joker" comics but I need some help with the following text. It is the inner voice of the main character, which is not The Joker but Jonny, his driver:
And then we heard the laugh... or was it a growl? Then I felt the tug on the rug. Feeling that, I hoped it was above the one I was already on.
I suspect "the tug on the rug" might be derived from "pull the rug (out) from under" meaning "to remove all support and assistance from, usually suddenly" [source: FreeDictionary]. But I am completely baffled by the last sentence. Any idea what might he be meaning by that? Please, help.

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Well, I think you're right. It's building on the familiar "pull the rug (out) from under", to produce the novel.

Feeling that the rug was about to be pulled from beneath him, he was rather hoping that it wasn't the last remaining rug in the pile (upon which he was standing, albeit metaphorically), i.e. he feared that this might be his last chance, but hoped that it wasn't.

Garin

Czech - Czechia
    Thank you, Beryl from Northallerton, for your explanation. I am afraid we do not have a saying in Czech with exactly the same meaning, but I think I can at least re-model the sentence to give a similar feeling.

< Previous | Next >