Tunisian Arabic/MSA: أجير

jack_1313

English - Australian
Hello.

I'm trying to pinpoint what this Tunisian judge means by the word أجير:

انا مصيبتي كنت في الإستئناف مساعد أول لوكيل عام قعدت ٦ أشهر من دون وكيل عام، معناتها شغلت منصب وكيل عام أجير محكمة استئناف تونس
My misfortune was that in the [Court of] Appeal I was first assistant to the prosecutor and I went six months without a prosecutor, meaning that I occupied the position of prosecutor .... in/of the Court of Appeal of Tunis.

I understand أجير to mean somebody hired to work for a wage, but here it seems to be being used to emphasis that the judge was working in a position in some sort of temporary (or perhaps even unofficial?) capacity. Does أجير carry some special meaning in Tunisia?

djara

Tunisia Arabic
This must be a transcription error, but I cannot guess what the real word could be.
From the context I uderstand that he was, for all intents and purposes, the prosector.
The word أجير is only used in MSA in Tunisia and doesn't have a special meaning other than 'somebody hired to work for a wage'

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
The word أجير is only used in MSA in Tunisia and doesn't have a special meaning other than 'somebody hired to work for a wage'
OK, then based on this, could the above mean that the person in question was hired on a contract bases or temporary assignment in the Tunisian Court of Appeals rather than full time permanent employment?

djara

Tunisia Arabic
OK, then based on this, could the above mean that the person in question was hired on a contract bases or temporary assignment in the Tunisian Court of Appeals rather than full time permanent employment?
In that case, I'd expect him to say متعاقد not أجير

An afterthought: أجير could also mean lessee, a person who rents a house or a shop.
In that case, he's saying that he was "renting" the position, not owning it. A very personal way of saying that he was General Prosecutor a.i. (ad interim)