Turbulence or turbulent

< Previous | Next >
  • Iberiaoneworld

English-England
    An aircraft flies through turbulence.
    Thank You swissPete but my question Was not "What does an aircraft fly through"? My question is: Which of the following is correct, "turbulances area or turbulent area" when referring to aviation. Does the plane fly through the first or the second?

Andygc

British English
    The plane flies through turbulence, as SwissPete told you. If your sentence is "An aircraft flies through a turbulence/turbulent area" it is not idiomatic English. If you have a different sentence in mind, please tell us what that sentence is.

Iberiaoneworld

English-England
    The plane flies through turbulence, as SwissPete told you. If your sentence is "An aircraft flies through a turbulence/turbulent area" it is not idiomatic English. If you have a different sentence in mind, please tell us what that sentence is.
    Thank you for your quick reply.

Put another way. I have read the following, is it correct? We are approaching a turbulance area,

Would it not be correct to say turbulent area. The word "area" must remain in the question.

Andygc

British English
    In that context the normal form would be an "area of turbulence". You are right to question "turbulence area", the adjective "turbulent" is appropriate, but "We are approaching a turbulent area" is a wholly unnatural way of making the statement.

Iberiaoneworld

English-England
    In that context the normal form would be an "area of turbulence". You are right to question "turbulence area", the adjective "turbulent" is appropriate, but "We are approaching a turbulent area" is a wholly unnatural way of making the statement.
    Thanks again for your help. Related to turbulence. What about its plural form. Can you correctly say an area of turbulence s? I think not, it sounds horrible.

< Previous | Next >