turn around

< Previous | Next >

yalambee

Banned
Korean-s. Korea
Hi,

I came across an epigraph, "Nostalgia is only amnesia turned around."
There are several meanings of "turn around" in dictionaries.
In this case, does "turned around" here mean "got better" or "improved"?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "Nostalgia is only amnesia turned around." = "Nostalgia is only the reverse of amnesia."

Nostalgia is the yearning for things you remember; amnesia is yearning to remember things you have forgotten.

"This part does not fit!"
    "You are trying to put it in the wrong way - turn it around."

yalambee

Banned
    Korean-s. Korea
    "Nostalgia is only amnesia turned around." = "Nostalgia is only the reverse of amnesia."

Nostalgia is the yearning for things you remember; amnesia is yearning to remember things you have forgotten.

"This part does not fit!"
    "You are trying to put it in the wrong way - turn it around."
    Thanks, PaulQ!
    How about in the context below:
    Whenever we’re apt to sound off about how contemporary education — or any other aspect of modern life — is unprecedented in its capacity to give offense, the knowledge that our grandparents or distant ancestors said much the same thing, give or take a superficial detail, serves to remind us of an observation once offered by Adrienne Rich: “Nostalgia is only amnesia turned around.”

-http://www.alfiekohn.org/blogs/remember-higher-standards-neither/

In this context, it seemed to me that nostalgia is a weaker form of amnesia.
    And still, the meaning of "turned around" is still confusing to me.

I really appreciate your help.

JamesM

Turned around = reversed (in position or direction)

"Nostalgia is amnesia turned around/reversed". As I read it, it means that amnesia is the inability to remember things of the past. Nostalgia is the opposite; people who are nostalgic are obsessed with the past. The past is "more real" to nostalgics than the present.

yalambee

Banned
    Korean-s. Korea
    Turned around = reversed (in position or direction)

"Nostalgia is amnesia turned around/reversed". As I read it, it means that amnesia is the inability to remember things of the past. Nostalgia is the opposite; people who are nostalgic are obsessed with the past. The past is "more real" to nostalgics than the present.
    Hi, JamesM.
    Your comment is also very helpful to clarify the meaning.
    Thanks!!

< Previous | Next >