turn attention back toward upcoming....

< Previous | Next >

rich7

Venezuela español
As we turn our attention back toward the upcoming season, MLB.com will handicap the MVP, Cy Young and Rookie of the Year races, as well as a few other interesting categories, in a series over the next week.

Isn't it contradictory?

• TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    Hi, Rich.

It depends on what preceded this sentence. If the writer (or speaker) had been addressing the subject of "the upcoming season," then digressed to something else, then this phrase indicates a return to the earlier topic. "As we turn our attention back toward" = "as we return our attention to."

Elizabeth

bernadotte

Hungarian, Hungary
    Hi,

Although I'm not a native but it sounds rather strange to me as well... I would say it without the word " back". As for "toward", it is OK, " to " could be used as well.

Let's see what the natives suggest.

B.

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    I wouldn't say it's the most elegant way to convey the writer's meaning, but in the context of a sports story, it's not bad, and certainly not contradictory. ;)

Elizabeth

GenJen54

USA - English
    I agree with Trentina. To me, the use of "back" indicates the writer had already discussed the "upcoming" seaon somewhere else in the article.

If not, he might have said simply: As we turn our attention toward the upcoming season.

< Previous | Next >