turn back on someone

< Previous | Next >

ESC85

Korean
Even his best friend turned back on TOM.

This is only one sentence that I have.

I just got this from a smal note.

Could you explain the meaning of that sentence to me?

• Lexiphile

England English
    I think there is a word missing here: Even his best friend turned his back on TOM.

To "turn your back on" someone is to withdraw moral support, friendship from him.

"Jane stood by her husband when he was arrested for a bank robbery, but when she found out that he had spent the money on Mary, she turned her back on him."

Jeyshree

India/Tamil
    Please revert back to me as soon as possible.

Is it okay to use revert back to me or it should be revert back me

Lexiphile

England English
    Hi Jeyshree,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I'm sorry to have to shoot you down in flames on your first post, especially since you so generously agreed with me before, but you really should read the rules before posting.

Your question should be in a thread of its own, not tagged onto the end of another thread. But if you search for existing threads on the same topic, you will surely find that we have already discussed "revert back". Very recently, in fact.

emma42

British English
    To return to the topic, I have never heard "turn back" on someone. I have heard:

Turn on someone - She suddenly turned on him and shouted in his face

Turn one's back on someone - He pleaded with her to stay, but she turned her back on him and walked away [literal use]

At the meeting, the senior director turned his back on her and agreed that she should be fired [figurative use, as illustrated by Lexiphile in Post # 2].

Yes, welcome Jeyshree! I would add my plea to Lexiphile's - please read the Rules and Guidelines before posting.

< Previous | Next >