turn her coat back over it

< Previous | Next >

cescato

Brazil, Portuguese
I am not quite sure if my question refers exactly to the expression "turn over". If someone thinks the title should be another, please feel free to change it.

I cannot understand well the following sentence:

"Anna has already sewn the embroidery on; she intends to turn her coat back over it”.

. The sentence means that Anna does not like the embroidery she had to sew on her garment, so she will “turn her coat back over it”. I cannot understand the meaning of this last phrase.

Can someone help me?

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The sentence itself does not tell us that Anna doesn't like the embroidery. Has that information already been given elsewhere?

In any case, the structure is: to turn her coat [back over it]. "Back over it" describes how she will turn her coat. She will "turn her coat back", means that she will fold the coat over itself. When you fold the cuff of your coat to make the sleeve shorter, you "turn it back." She will fold back some part of her coat in such a way that it covers the embroidery.

Where is the embroidery? If we knew that, it would be easier to imagine how this works.

Last edited:

cescato

Brazil, Portuguese
    The sentence itself does not tell us that Anna doesn't like the embroidery. Has that information already been given elsewhere?

In any case, the structure is: to turn her coat [back over it]. "Back over it" describes how she will turn her coat. She will "turn her coat back", means that she will fold the coat over itself. When you fold the cuff of your coat to make the sleeve shorter, you "turn it back." She will fold back some part of her coat in such a way that it covers the embroidery.

Where is the embroidery? If we knew that, it would be easier to imagine how this works.
    Thanks. :) Now I understand the meaning of the sentence...
    (The information that she does not like the embroidery was in fact given previously in the text, but the text is not clear on where the embroidery is actually sewn...)

< Previous | Next >