turn it back

< Previous | Next >

stephenlearner

Chinese
Hi,

What should I say in the following context?
Something is upside down. So I should turn it back to make the upside up.
Is the bold phrase correct?
Thanks.

• Copyright

American English
    The statue is upside down. So I should turn it right side up.

It seems like a read a previous thread about this recently, but I can't find it.

Added: Cross-posted with tepatria, with whom I agree. :)

stephenlearner

Chinese
    Thank you.
    I have looked up "right" in my American Heritage Dictionary and found this entry:
    (right) Intended to be worn or positioned facing outward or toward an observer.
    I can understand the "right side" of a jacket, but I could not understand the "right side" of a statue.
    The right side of a statue seems to refer to the side that faces the observer.

Let's create other contexts:
    A small child holds a book upside down. Do you tell him to turn it right side up?
    A picture on the wall in hung upside down. Does that phrase apply to it?
    Thanks.

EStjarn

Spanish
    I have looked up "right" in my American Heritage Dictionary and found this entry:
    (right) Intended to be worn or positioned facing outward or toward an observer.
    I can understand the "right side" of a jacket, but I could not understand the "right side" of a statue.
    The right side of a statue seems to refer to the side that faces the observer.
    In Copyright's example, I read right as 'correct'.

sdgraham

USA English
    The statue is upside down. I'll turn it the right way up (not right side up).
    Yet another division of our common language. I've never heard "right way up."

I note that Google returns 2,277,000 "hits" for "right side up" and 14,500,000 for "right way up"

I am humbled.:eek:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Yet another division of our common language. I've never heard "right way up."

I note that Google returns 2,277,000 "hits" for "right side up" and 14,500,000 for "right way up"

I am humbled.:eek:
    Checking the corpora...

BNC
    right side up - 5
    right way up - 37
    COCA
    right side up - 99
    right way up - 9

BNC - British National Corpus
    COCA - Corpus of Contemporary American English
    COHA - Corpus of Historical American English

< Previous | Next >