turn out to be far less internally tolerant of diversity than might at first appear

thetazuo

Chinese - China
1. ... the effects on San Francisco were much less than would've occurred with the same earthquake at a closer distance.
2. Not all sects are new religious movements, but many of the new religions exhibit the sectarian characteristic of proclaiming an exclusive truth, and even those that claim that they do not do so may, in practice, turn out to be far less internally tolerant of diversity than might at first appear.

Hi. The above two examples are from The Oxford English Grammar and I’m puzzled by them.
I think 1 and 2 are wrong. I think 1 should be “the effects on San Francisco were much fewer than would've occurred with the same earthquake at a closer distance” (because “effects” are countable and “fewer” stands for “effects”) and 2 “... less internally tolerant of diversity than they might at first appear”.

What do you think of my understanding?
Thank you.

• thetazuo

Chinese - China
    What are they examples of, and does the dictionary claim that they are correct?
    Hello. The grammar book says this: “The subject alone may be ellipted in the comparative clause” and the two quoted examples are cited to illustrate the idea.
    The dictionary claim they are correct.

< Previous | Next >