turn over: Comenzar una nueva vida.

capitas

Spanish-Spain
I came across "turn over a new life" meaning "to start a new life".
I've been looking it up in all my dictionaries, and haven't found it, including this great WR.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Could you confirm that meaning for "Turn over"? Is it colloquially used?.

• bondia

English-England
    I came across "turn over a new life" meaning "to start a new life".
    I've been looking it up in all my dictionaries, and haven't found it, including this great WR.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Could you confirm that meaning for "Turn over"? Is it colloquially used?.
    ¿No será "turn over a new leaf?", que viene a sergirar página

ensoie

English, Hindi
    Turn over a new leaf :
    To change, as one's attitude or conduct, for the better ;To start in a new direction ; To begin a new phase in your life, usually one that is better than the previous ; Make a fresh start; Reform one’s conduct; To begin to act in a better way

Example Sentences:

· A: Do you have any New Year’s Resolutions?
    B: Yeah, I want to turn over a new leaf. I’m going to start exercising more, and stop eating bad food!

· The alcoholic man turned over a new leaf when he decided to live without alcohol.

· Teacher: Wow, you’re doing your homework, little Dustin?
    Dustin: Yeah, teacher! I’ve decided I want to become an accountant, so I’m turning over a new leaf. I’m going to start doing my homework every night!
    Teacher: I’m proud of you.

· Since his marriage he’s turned over a new leaf and has become a respectable member of the community.

(The metaphorical idea was that you could turn to a clean page unsullied by graffiti in the book of your life.)

aldonzalorenzo

Castellano
    Y, ¿Pasar página?
    Pienso que 'pasar página' también se dice y se entiende; pero 'borrón y cuenta nueva' me parece más usual.
    Personalmente solo digo esta última (jeje, ¿me consideraré la medida de todo?).

PD: Ahora que lo pienso, 'borrón y cuenta nueva' es más usado, creo, porque puede referirse a acontecimientos más normales; por ejemplo, 'borrón y cuenta nueva' por hoy: ya me pongo a trabajar en serio... Sin embargo 'una nueva página' parece hacer referencia a algo más trascendente, a alguna decisión que marque más la vida. Es lo que se me ocurre.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >