turn the picture straight

ridgemao

Chinese - Mandarin
Hello:

In this passage:
Wish you could turn the picture straight and enlarge it...But I don’t see anyone that looks like Bobo in the picture, but hard to tell from the angle.

Is it correct to use "turn the picture straight" to mean turn the picture in a level or correct position, parallel to the title(Can you identify this photo found in Bobo’s car) of the web page?

Thank you.

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Might I suggest "straighten"?

"Turn a picture straight" sounds awkward to me. I'm not at all surprised to find it on the internet, where people write very hastily, and I do understand it - still, I would recommend a different phrasing.

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I think they would have been better to say "I wish you/we could rotate/turn the picture so that it is straight/level/square on" but at least you understood what was meant.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Even a simple "I wish the picture were​ straight(ened)" would get the meaning across.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I would suggest 'Turn the picture the right way up'.
    But that makes it sound like the picture is upside-down or sideways, not that the picture is just skewed slightly on a diagonal. I don't think that's appropriate for the situation pictured here.

wandle

English - British
    That is true: I had not viewed the link.
    Now I think 'turn it straight' is clear enough.
    I would prefer 'orient it correctly', but that is hardly any different in meaning.

sdgraham

USA English
    Note that we often use the word "straight" to mean "proper" or some such and not necessarily "horizontal."

(Not that I'm fond of the way it was expressed here. Internet comments such as this collection often are not well expressed or thought out)

Last edited:

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    "Turn the picture straight" still sounds decidedly odd to me, and I don't think I would ever express this thought that way. It sounds like something a lady picture would say about a confirmed-bachelor picture: "I'm gonna turn that picture straight, or die trying!"

wandle

English - British
    It is a colloquial context and besides, by 'Wish you could turn the picture straight' the poster is admitting that the proposition is unreal. In such cases, we allow the expression to be slightly unreal in order to fit, making it tongue-in-cheek.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    It's actually not hard at all to rotate a digital image. I don't think there's anything "unreal" about the proposition. "Wish you could straighten out the image" would be a clear and correct way to convey this thought.

Packard

USA, English
    I would say "straighten" same as Lucas mentioned.

That picture of Uncle Vanya is crooked; I think you should straighten it.

wandle

English - British
    It's actually not hard at all to rotate a digital image. I don't think there's anything "unreal" about the proposition.
    Of course, it can easily be done. It is the wording of the post which suggests to me that the poster saw it as unreal. If she was aware that it was possible, she could have done it herself.

In a colloquial context and given such a view on the poster's part, the expression seems appropriate to me as a tongue-in-cheek one for the reasons explained.

< Previous | Next >