Turn the setting for fixing blurry apps on or off manually

< Previous | Next >

miriam91

Slovak
Hello,
could you please help me: I do not know whether the word "manually" in the sentence "Turn the setting for fixing blurry apps on or off manually" refers to:
either "manual turning on/off"
or "manual fixing".

Here is the context: (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091364/windows-10-fix-blurry-apps) (part Fixing blurry apps, there are two options:)

"Fix blurry apps automatically... (description of the steps). Turn the setting for fixing blurry apps on or off manually ... .(description of the steps).

Could it be that if it refered to "manual fixing", the word manually would come after fixing blurry apps and not at the end of the sentence? (So the sentence would be: Turn Turn the setting for fixing blurry apps manually on or off.)

Thank you.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    "Manually" refers to "turning the setting on or off". I cannot see what purpose "manually" serves in this sentence. How else do you turn settings on and off? However, this is undoubtedly the meaning.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Ok, thank you, Uncle Jack. So is my hypothesis with "manually" not coming at the end of the sentence correct?
    Yes, your reasoning is fine. However, it seemed so unnecessary to me to add "manually" for "turning the setting on or off" that I was not entirely sure the writer did not mean "manual fixing", even though that is not what the word order said. I checked your linked page to make sure the writer really meant what the sentence said.

< Previous | Next >