turn the troves of data

Julie4luck

Korean
Hi,

I don't know how I understand the below sentence because the structure is complicated to me.
Especially the meaning and structure of 'turn'. And what does 'more to start~' connect with?
I think companies could use the troves of data they'd acquired for their consumer behavior, industry trends, demographic shifts, uncovering patterns that human brains couldn’t detect, is it right? totally confused...

<The great promise of AI was that for the first time companies could turn the troves of data they’d acquired on consumer behavior, industry trends, demographic shifts, and more to start uncovering patterns that human brains couldn’t detect.>

Thanks.

• SevenDays

Spanish
    You've got the right idea.
    With AI, companies could use data that they already had on lots of things (consumer behavior, industry patterns, demographic shifts, etc.) and see/discover/uncover patterns that they couldn't find without AI. In other words, machines were supposed to be better at this than humans. The paragraph doesn't tell us if this "great promise" became or is becoming a reality.

Julie4luck

Korean
    You've got the right idea.
    With AI, companies could use data that they already had on lots of things (consumer behavior, industry patterns, demographic shifts, etc.) and see/discover/uncover patterns that they couldn't find without AI. In other words, machines were supposed to be better at this than humans. The paragraph doesn't tell us if this "great promise" became or is becoming a reality.
    You mean companies could see patterns~ by using data (that they already had) on(=about) consumer behavior~ ~?

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    The sentence would be clearer if there was a comma before “to start”.
    Agreed, and also if there were no comma after "shifts".
    I usually favour the Oxford comma, but this is one case where I would not use it.

Julie4luck

Korean
    Thank you. It's very helpful. Do you mean that data is about consumer behavior, industry patterns, demographic shifts, or is also applied to consumer behavior, industry patterns, demographic shifts? Actually, I am also confused with the preposition 'on' of 'on consumer behavior~~' in the context.

se16teddy

English - England
    I have some information on (= about) you.
    The firms already have loads of information on (= about) their customers, and other aspects of their business. But without AI they have no way of finding patterns (trends) in it.

Julie4luck

Korean
    I have some information on (= about) you.
    The firms already have loads of information on (= about) their customers, and other aspects of their business. But without AI they have no way of finding patterns (trends) in it.
    Thanks a lot.

< Previous | Next >