turn up / show up

Aya_N

Spain, Spanish
Hi!

Can I use the verbs "turn up" and "show up" with the pronoun "I". For example:

- When will you come?
- I'll turn up/show up at 6.

Can't you say that? According to my teacher, you can only use these verbs to refer to other people, not to yourself; but I want to make sure.

thanks!

• Broccolicious

English - England
    Hello

You can use either when referring to yourself, yes:

- I'm not sure when I'll turn up.
    - I'll show up before you.

And by the way, 'show up' is more American. We say 'turn up' in the UK.

Kate

xx409xx

I agree. To use these phrases in English to refer to yourself is perfectly normal. And, it is also true that we in the USA use "show up". In the USA, we use "turn up" to refer to non-human objects. It's very common to hear someone tell someone else who has lost or misplaced something :

"Don't worry, I'm sure it will turn up eventually..."

valladolid

USA english
    I disagree with you. Your teacher was right. I'll turn up is not said in the context you used at least in American English. In murder stories or stories of kidnapping, someone may turn up dead or after being missing for some time, a body may turn up but one doesn't say I'll turn up in a party but I'll show up at such and such a time

candy-man

Polish/Poland
    I disagree with you. Your teacher was right. I'll turn up is not said in the context you used at least in American English. In murder stories or stories of kidnapping, someone may turn up dead or after being missing for some time, a body may turn up but one doesn't say I'll turn up in a party but I'll show up at such and such a time

That distinction reflects very well the differences that exist between the two varieties of English. As Broccolicious stressed, turn up is more common in such contexts in the UK. I was tought that a construction like: I´m not going to turn up at the party sounds gramatically and pragmatically correct.