tuyau (communications)

constantlyconfused

English - British
Explore, un tuyau aux multiples vertues

Pour mettre en œuvre ce projet, XXX s’est tourné vers YYY, un partenaire de longue date qui fournissait déjà des solutions de téléphonie mobile à l’entreprise. Suite à l’appel d’offres lancé par XXX, c’est en effet la solution Explore de YYY qui a été retenue. « Explore, c’est une sorte de gros tuyau que l’on installe sur site et qui permet non seulement de faire passer une connexion internet à haut débit, mais aussi une série d’autres services, notamment en matière de sécurité

Is this simply a pipe, or duct? I can't find another translation, but could there be one? It may seem obvious, but I ask because there is no reference to pipes or ducts on the company website, only to lines, security and communication.

• wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    In AE, your internet pipe is a term to describe the size of bandwidth provided through a connection:

Bandwidth vs Speed: The Plumbing Metaphor

Think of it this way: data is traveling over the Internet cable like water in a pipe. Bandwidth is the width of that pipe — essentially, the maximum volume of water (data) that can pass through at once. Speed, meanwhile, is the amount of Megabits per second that can be downloaded by a given device using your home network. Speed is more accurately called “throughput,” meaning the rate at which data is “put through” to your laptop/phone/etc.
    Source: Bandwidth Calculator: How Much Internet Speed Do I Need?

But I don't think that's what you are talking about in your context, cc.

Just a suggestion that you probably can't translate FR tuyau literally into English in this context.

jetset

French
    From the source document, I suggest "a high-performance infrastructure" (it does have to do with bandwidth). Or "pipework" in one word.

constantlyconfused

English - British
    From the source document, I suggest "a high-performance infrastructure" (it does have to do with bandwidth). Or "pipework" in one word.

I like your "high-performance infrastructure", which is wonderfully non-specific. I'll use that, with a note for the client. Thanks to all for your help.

le chat noir

French
    I suspect "pipe" would do, that's used in expressions like "Internet pipe" to talk about an Internet connexion.

For instance, this article looks like an English version of the techno-babble I used to churn out 15 years ago :)
    In simple terms, the internet pipe is built fat enough to handle the maximum amount of traffic in a day.
    A native speaker should have the last say on this, of course. I'm just being curious. Meow!

constantlyconfused

English - British
    Thank you. Yes, when I checked the document after completion, I decided that I couldn't in all conscience translate 'un gros tuyau' as 'a high-performance infrastructure', so I opted for conduit in the heading and pipe in the body of the text.

Philippides

Français - France
    Bonjour,

En effet, quand on parle de tuyau, c'est juste un expression imagée pour ne pas entrer dans le détail de ce qui est concrètement mis en oeuvre (fibre optique, câble, faisceau hertzien ou autre).
    "Pipe" me semble donc très bien faire l'affaire.