tweedish

< Previous | Next >

sueno dulce

Korean
Hello~

what is tweedish? I can't look up that word in the dictionary.

<When I put the phone down, I felt calmer; tweedish as I'd come across, at least I'd said it.>

Waiting for the right answer.

• JamesM

Please give a little more context, sueno dulce. What is it that the character said on the phone? What country is it taking place in?

In British books I've read, "tweedy" or "tweedish" meant a sort of country aristocracy type, I believe.

In the U.S., "tweedy" could mean "bookish", "stuffy/conservative", "casual" or "highbrow" depending on context.

Last edited:

sueno dulce

Korean
    Hi~JamesM!^^*

I'll give more context.
    <"There's no ducking this one," I(father) said, pacing back and forth in my empty living room, the sun speckling the porch outside. "There are no shortcuts." (to his son who might be smoking) I sounded pompous and utterly unconvincing. But when I put the phone down, I felt calmer; tweedish as I'd come across, at least I'd said it.>

Are you a little bit clearer?

JamesM

I think he means "stuffy". Note the reference to "pompous". That's my interpretation, at least.

(Thank you for providing context. Just as a reminder, quoted references should give the source and be limited to a maximum of four sentences, which you've succeeding in doing very nicely here. We are missing the source of the quote.)

< Previous | Next >