'Twice' in the twentieth century, large meteorite objects

Discussion in 'English Only' started by runingsnail, Feb 7, 2011.

1. runingsnail

runingsnail Member

Chinese
  2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Here's a link to the WR dictionary's definition for twice. Make sure to look words up in the dictionary before you start a thread. :) Thank you.

3. runingsnail

runingsnail Member

Chinese
    Oh, I was a little confused a while back.
    This sentence can be cosidered in another way like Twice large meterorite objects are known to have....., in the twentieth century.

4. runingsnail

runingsnail Member

Chinese
    To owlman5,
    The grammar problem disturbs me to undertand the whole sentence.
    Next time, I'll pay more attention on sentence structure.
    THX

5. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    I think I understand what you are saying, runingsnail: you thought twice meant two times as large.

It seems to me that you have figured it out. :)
    But if you need still need help, let us know.

6. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Another reason the sentence is confusing is that twice in the twentieth century does not modify are known (or to have) but collided:

Large meteorite objects are known twice in the twentieth century to have collided with Earth. :cross:
    Large meteorite objects are known to have collided with Earth twice in the twentieth century. :tick:

7. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I like Forero's suggestion, Running Snail. Perhaps your trouble with the sentence structure has something to do with the position of the adverb phrase in the sentence.

Here's another possibility:

Large meteorite objects are known to have collided twice in the twentieth century with Earth.

Do you understand how this phrase affects the sentence?

8. runingsnail

runingsnail Member

Chinese
    To owlman5 & Foreor,

In my opinion, the following two sentences have the same meaning.

Large meteorite objects are known twice in the twentieth century to have collided with Earth. :cross:
    Large meteorite objects are known to have collided with Earth twice in the twentieth century. :tick:

9. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    The first sentence tells us that we knew two times that large meteorite objects collided with Earth.

The second sentence tells us that as far as we know, the earth has been struck with such objects twice (two times).

I think those two sentences mean different things. Look at them and tell me what you think. :)

10. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    The best definition of twice, in this context, would be "on two occasions". The original would have been improved if it had been changed that way!

11. runingsnail

runingsnail Member

Chinese
    To owlman5,
    Is that the first sentence meaning that there were only two times, while the sencond one means there might be more than two times, but the scientists just have known twice of them?

12. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    That's exactly what those sentences mean to me. Good job, Running Snail:)

13. runingsnail

runingsnail Member

Chinese
    Finally, I have understood it.
    Tnaks to all