twice-weekly/four times weekly/two weekly flights, services

< Previous | Next >

wolfbm1

Polish
Hello.
"On 27 April, Royal Air Maroc launched a twice-weekly service between Casablanca (CMN) and Warsaw (WAW). The route, operated by Atlas Blue’s 737-800s, is now the only link between Morocco and Poland, as LOT Polish recently dropped its Agadir service."

"
The Berlin airport also saw the addition of four times weekly services to Gdansk (GDN) aboard Q400s and five weekly 737-700 flights to Graz (GRZ)."
Source:
New routes launched during the last week. Anna Aero Airlines.

I can understand the expression "five weekly flights". It sounds like "five new flights" or five flights, which are new.
I have difficulty with the expressions "a twice-weekly service" and "four times weekly services". To me, they sound like a twice service, which is weekly, and four times services, which are weekly. What is wrong with me?
:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I don't like it either, to be honest. A similar question was just discussed on this forum, here.

However, this is one way we express the idea of "every week there are four planes that fly to Gdansk" in English. At a certain point, we just have to deal with it...

JamesM

They do sound a little awkward but they avoid the confusion of the "bi-" prefix. A "bicycle" has two wheels but "bi-monthly" (usually) means "once every two months". So is bi-weekly twice a week or once every two weeks? If it's every two weeks should we then use "semi-weekly"? English doesn't handle these well. I can't even imagine what the prefix would be for "four times weekly" -- "quatra-weekly"? :)

It's also worth pointing out that twice-weekly may be Saturday and Sunday, so the flights might not be evenly spaced in the week.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I think it's confusing too, wolf, but it's the 'five weekly flights' that are foxing me, or so it seems.

(Once; twice; thrice; four times; five times; etc ... I presume we can take that for granted, can we?)

Weekly = once a week => one flight per week.

Twice-weekly = twice a week => two flights per week.

Thrice-weekly = three times a week (I don't think we say 'thrice a week') => three flights per week.

Four-times-weekly* = four times a week => four flights per week.

Five-times-weekly* = five times a week => five flights per week. ... etc.

*these could have been hyphenated in the OP context.

So when they say 'five weekly 737-700 flights to Graz' I'm not sure what is intended.

Does it mean five flights per week on a range of different planes?

Does it mean one flight every five weeks on a yet-to-be-determined model of plane? (Cross-posted)

Perhaps there's a difference between 'service' and 'fight' that I don't know about. No, you're not alone, wolf. :)

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    What wrong with 'weekly' really? I eat 3 pizzas PER week.

I used, in a language course, the translation 'I eat weekly 3 pizzas' and I get as the 'correct solution': I eat 3 pizzas PER week.

Can somebody confirm that 'I eat weekly 3 pizzas' is not wrong?

Myridon

English - US
    Can somebody confirm that 'I eat weekly 3 pizzas' is not wrong?
    "I eat three pizzas weekly." sounds much better, but it's still unusual.
    In speech, someone would ask you why you feel weak or if your mouth is sore.

Last edited:

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    'A week' yes. I was a bit surprised about 'per week'. I hadn't expected Dutch there.

Well I have to translate basic sentences, this one said 'weekly' in the original, and of course sometimes I'm not wrong, but unnatural.

Thank you for the reactions.

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    My doubt is resolved. Thanks all.

Why are you surprised to see it in one but not the other?
    I don't even understand that question. Were did I say <I was surprised to see it in one and not in the other>, whatever that may mean?

Assuming you mean to ask why I was surprised to see 'per week':
    1 I'm under the impression I saw it less used than 'weekly'.
    2 I am also under under the impression I have seen 'a week ' more used than 'per week'. =>

Google hits for 'a week' :553 m
    "per week" 167m, but those include also the Dutch expression 'per week'

'weekly': 1.190 m

Ngram Google:
    a week.JPG

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >