twiney [twangy]

< Previous | Next >

tonguingaround

Banned
Spanish Argentina
Hi everyone....I know I must have misspelled the word "twiney" but I heard someone say "twiney" ( or at least it sounded like that to me...) when referring to how people sound when they speak depending on what part of a city they grew up in.... like you can sound more "academic" or more "snobbish", etc depending on what part of your city you grew up in...or depending on the level of education you have achieved.

Does "twiney" make any sense in this context???? Or did I just make it up ? all i can say is what he said sounded like that. He said that some people sound "twiney"....

thanks in advance

• tonguingaround

Banned
    Spanish Argentina
    Thanks for the try...maybe it was "twangy" although...I m pretty sure it sounded the way you d pronounce "twiney"...and I guess "twangy" is pronounced differentely, isn t it ?

Thanks

fenixpollo

American English
    In certain dialects of English, "twangy" and "twiney" have similar pronunciations. Ironically, the more twangy the accent, the more likely that "twangy" and "twiney" would sound alike. :D

tonguingaround

Banned
    Spanish Argentina
    WoW !!! I would have never thought "twangy" and "twiney" could have similar pronunciations, really ????
    The guy who said "twangy" (or "twiney" ) is from Houston, TX, would that be a texan dialect ???

cheers
    Thanks again

Forero

That is Southern twang, common throughout the American South. The word twang [tʍɑi̯ŋ] is pronounced with a diphthong [ɑi̯], though twine [tʍɐ̞ːn] (or in Texas even [tʍɑːn]) usually is not.

< Previous | Next >