Twirl, twist, fiddle

Ansola

Russian - Russia
Hi, everyone!

I've got a problem when choosing between these 3 verbs.

If, for instance, I take a toy and move(?) it in my hands upside down and vice versa, am I fiddling the toy?

If I take a piece of plasticine, stretch it into a long cylinder and then make a thing like this http://kodomo.cmm.msu.ru/~empire_patrol/term1/images/v_a_only.png, am I twisting it?

Then we have 'twirl'. As I understand, we can only twirl something like a spintop, a ball. In this case a ball goes around itself. Right?

By the way, can we twist a piece of paper? http://factorydirectcraft.com/pimages/20050825100558-939480/purple_paper_twist.jpg

• Myridon

English - US
    You are fiddling with the toy. To fiddle is "touch or fidget with something in a restless or nervous way". We use "fiddling" when you are touching/moving the object with no real purpose in mind. "Fiddling" doesn't tell us what that movement is. You could be moving the toy in any way including twisting it and twirling it.

Ansola

Russian - Russia
    You are fiddling with the toy. To fiddle is "touch or fidget with something in a restless or nervous way". We use "fiddling" when you are touching/moving the object with no real purpose in mind. "Fiddling" doesn't tell us what that movement is. You could be moving the toy in any way including twisting it and twirling it.
    And what are we doing with the toy, when we're touching it, taking it in one hand and then in the other or doing anything else with it using our HANDS? NOT in a restless or nervous way. And it's not necessary to know what the movement is. The main thing is that we are moving the toy with 'no real purpose in mind'. Using our hands.

Myridon

English - US
    And what are we doing with the toy, when we're touching it, taking it in one hand and then in the other or doing anything else with it using our HANDS? NOT in a restless or nervous way. And it's not necessary to know what the movement is. The main thing is that we are moving the toy with 'no real purpose in mind'. Using our hands.
    You could fiddle with something using your feet, or even your tongue. For example, you could put a small stone in your mouth and fiddle with it.

Ansola

Russian - Russia
    The problem I have is that you have not given a sentence in which you want to use this verb. Could you do that? :thumbsup:
    Someone is sitting on the floor and moving a toy with his hands.
    'What are you doing?'
    'I'm moving/twisting a toy in my hands'

< Previous | Next >