Two(-)layer cathedral(-)length silk(-)tulle wedding veil

< Previous | Next >

Hard-beat

Dutch
Where do the hyphens or dashes go in 'She wore a two(-)layer cathedral(-)length silk(-)tulle wedding veil​'?

Any en dashes, Copyright? 

• Copyright

American English
    Oooo ... multiple-choice (there's a hyphen now). You get to tell us what you think first; then we jump in with the right answer. :)

Hard-beat

Dutch
    I'm doubting between 'two-layer cathedral-length silk tulle wedding veil' and 'two layer–cathedral length silk tulle wedding veil' with a slight lean toward the first one.

Perhaps because I think the second one looks a bit strange or perhaps because it is just wrong to use an en dash there :p.

You made me curious!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I like your first suggestion.
    Two definitely goes with layer, the adjective is two-layer.
    Cathedral has to go with length (though I have no idea what it means), so the adjective is cathedral-length.
    I don't know enough about materials to be sure, but I think that silk and tulle are sufficiently separate not to be hyphenated.

Moglet

UK
    British/Hiberno-English
    Hard-beat, a comma is all that's needed in the first phrase:

"... two-layer, cathedral-length silk tulle wedding veil..."

For information, "silk tulle" is correct because tulle - a fine, net-like fabric - can be made from different fibres (silk, cotton, synthetic).

I would imagine that "cathedral-length" refers to a veil that falls to the ground and has a very long train (think Lady Diana Spencer's wedding dress).

Last edited:

Hard-beat

Dutch
    Thanks for explaining why silk tulle doesn't get hyphenated, Moglet.

Sorry for my late reply, but I was on holidays.

And yes, you are right about the meaning of a cathedral-length wedding veil being a veil that has quite a long train :) (although I don't remember Lady Di's wedding dress).

< Previous | Next >