Two metallic washers in front and two on back

Adrenalina

Spanish, Spain
Hey there,

Can you help me with this, please? I don't think this sentence is correct, can you spot any mistakes? "We pass the large bolt through that hole, from the inside to the outside, placing two metallic washers in front and two on back of the bolt, then we place the tube nut..."

Thanks in advance

• maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    I think the "in front of" and "on back of" are wrong.
    A washer goes on a bolt, not in front of it.
    I presume that you wish to say that there are two metal washers on each side of the hole the bolt is passing through. I can't readily think of an easy and elegant way to phrase it (some forer@ will doubtless make me look silly shortly) and I can understand why diagrams are so popular for this sort of thing.

You could possibly mention the washers before the bolt is spoken of — "Putting two metal washers on each side of the hole, we pass the large bolt through the hole from the inside to the outside and secure it with the tube nut..."

Hey there,

Can you help me with this, please? I don't think this sentence is correct, can you spot any mistakes? "We pass the large bolt through that hole, from the inside to the outside, placing two metallic washers in front of and two on the back of the bolt, then we place the tube nut..."

Thanks in advance
    Hi Adrenalina,

(Are you still doing battle with that clamp? :D )

I don't know if this is right.

LRV

Adrenalina

Spanish, Spain
    Yes... :D but nearly finished... I promise!!! This is the last bit I'm not sure about, but with all this help I'm going to sleep tight tonight!!
    Thank you so much for your great suggestions, Reine Victoria & Maxiogee :)

Matching Mole

England, English
    I'm sorry if this is too late, but this is how I would phrase it:

"First fit two metal washers on the bolt, then pass it through the hole from the inside. Once the bolt is inserted, fit another two metal washers on the outside, followed by the tube nut."

Note I have used "fit" instead of "place", this is not materially different, but "fit" is the more usual term in engineering. I have also avoided using the pronoun, as instructions like this are normally in the impersonal or passive. This is not essential to the meaning of course, but personal pronouns are not normally used in technical instructions and gives an odd "feel" to an English speaker. However, by all means continue to use "we" if you have used it extensively already.

Adrenalina

Spanish, Spain
    Oh, no, it's never too late, Matching Mole! :)
    Actually, everything you've said it's going to be really useful from now on.
    Thanks a lot for all your help.

< Previous | Next >