two month vs. two months' salary

< Previous | Next >

Madrid001

Spanish
Hello!

I have been getting confused lately about the use of the posessive in some contexts. For example, in the sentences below, I don't know if both can be used because I have seen all these time adverbs used as adjectived and in the possesive form as well. I don't even know if this makes any sense. Can you please tell me if the sentences are correct or which one would you use, please?

1. I spent a two months' salary on this present.

2. I spent a two-month salary on thid present.

Also, is the phrase 'worth of' omitted in the first sentence after 'two months'' ??

Thank you in advance!!

• neal41

USA, English
    Can you please tell me if the sentences are correct or which one would you use, please?

1. I spent a two months' salary on this present.:tick: (you must omit 'a'; the line through it can barely be seen)

2. I spent a two-month salary on this present.:cross:

Also, is the phrase 'worth of' omitted in the first sentence after 'two months'' ??
    Do not use 'worth of'. 'Months' can be possessive with an apostrophe or non-possessive with no apostrophe. I prefer the non-possessive option.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Those forms are both incorrect. The correct form would be, "I spent two months' salary," without the article and without a hypen. There are also different ways to phrase it, such as "two months' worth of my salary."

Sowmitra Roy

Bengali.
    Which one of the following possessive cases is correct :

My two months salary
    My two months' salary
    My two month salary

< Previous | Next >