(Two names) + 以外

Soult

spanish - Chile
Hi forum!

I'm having problems with this sentence:「私はマリオマリア以外愛しない。」.
I was thinking something like: "Excepting to Maria, I will not love Mario" (She'll only love Maria) but then I saw a familiar sentence that someone translated like "Excepting to Maria and Mario, I'll not love", So, Can 以外 affect all the names even when there is the particle "を" in Mario and not a "と"? Thank you!

• karlalou

Banned
    母国語:日本語
    「私はマリオマリア以外愛しない。」
    This is not a correct sentence. No wonder you have problems with it. :)

If it's 「私はマリオマリア以外(を・は)、愛ない」, it means "I don't love anyone except Mario and Maria," in other words, "I only love Mario and Maria."

Without 私は, and if it's 「マリオをマリア以外に愛ない」, it's not very complete, but enough to mean "There's no one other than Maria who loves Mario," in other words, "Mario is not loved by anyone except by Maria".

To me, it most makes sense if it's 「私はマリオはマリア以外、愛さないと思う」, and we often omit this 私は. This means "I think Mario doesn't love anyone, but Maria", in other words, "I think Mario loves only Maria".

Last edited:

frequency

Japanese
    「私はマリオマリア以外愛しない。」.
    I was thinking something like: "Excepting to Maria, I will not love Mario" (She'll only love Maria)
    Good. IF you want to mean this one, it must be 「以上に」. I will not love Mario more than I do Maria.

SoLaTiDoberman

Japanese
    「私はマリオマリア以外愛しない。」
    This sentence is absolutely wrong. It doesn't make sense to native Japanese people.
    First of all, I'm not sure the gender of the speaker.
    I think you (or the writer of that example sentence) might as well have created a more simple example sentence. I mean, you/they should adopt the same gender of the two people. For example マリア and ジュリア, or マリオ and ルイージ.
    Your sentence seemed to be talking about the preference of homosexual love and hetero- sexual love, which was very complex. If so, more context should be needed. Or you/they were talking about "the love for one's family members"? Or the love toward video games?

Anyway, the correct Japanese sentence examples are listed below.

"Excepting to Maria, I will not love Mario" (She'll only love Maria)
    私はマリア以外には、マリオを含め誰も愛さない。
    私はマリア以外はだれも愛さない。マリオも例外ではない。

"Excepting to Maria and Mario, I'll not love"
    私は、マリアとマリオ以外は誰も愛さない。

"AとB以外は" means "except both A and B."

Last edited:

Soult

spanish - Chile
    Really all this was my mistake, I read wrong and I didn't notice until someone pointed it to me, sorry, but thank you so much! You all have helped me a lot with this!

< Previous | Next >