two part return ticket


Senior Member
Hi there,

I was wondering what you called the 'physical' ticket for the outward part of a (train/plane) round trip and what you called the one for your journey back. For instance, what would you call each of these: ? Or what word would you use when telling something like 'oh *insert expletive*, I've lost my X' to a friend?

Thanks in advance!
  • Andygc

    Senior Member
    British English
    We call the outward one a "ticket" and the return one a "ticket". "I've lost my ticket." If you want to be specific, "outbound ticket" and "return ticket". Of course, both bits of cardboard together are also "a return ticket".